Moab Munched Mechanicals
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Moab Munched Mechanicals

Moab Munched Mechanicals

As usual Betty Boop and I returned a little beat up from Utah. Here are some of the souvineers from ten days in the southwest:
    These used to be turn signals

Upper frame damage:

Subframe and Cyclerack fractures:

Main frame fracture:

Burst can of ten year old flat fix sure made a sticky mess when it got eaten up by rear tire:

"Held on by a thread" comes to mind:
    Accompanying soft tissue damage:

Now I can't blame this all on Moab's terrain, I did get perhaps a little over my head free-ridding @ Swing Arm City:
    Unbelievable intense winds while camped there did toss Berry Boop downwind three times before I had to strap her to my wildly shaking van to keep bike upright.

So who else has some repair work to be done? I saw several subframe failures and usual collection of broken turn signals. Come on, drag out the battle damage for our viewing pleasure.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I attribute most of this to an overloaded Cyclerack with one gallon of fuel hung at the very back. While I had transfered much of the cantelevered load to an extension of the sub-frame obviously the sub-frame then became overloaded. I shall be extending my frame rearward and likely leaving off CycleRack and fuel except for possible longer gentler rides. For day to day excusions I plan to restore an older smaller tailbag that also ties into frame extension for modular interchangable cargo hauling.
    jtstdub, Ken, littletommy and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Does anyone from the MOAB adventures know what was the longest ride (MILES) ? Do you absolutely require more fuel than the 1.8-ish gallons of the stock TW tank? I see the need to carry a set of tools, but how much extra fuel is needed for the trails/riding that was done? Did anyone need extra fuel (aside from anyone who may have forgotten to fill up before each days riding).
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

holy crap Fred, you beat her up good! maybe a bobber style would be better for you. much less weight and things to break. you could take one light weight bike for the heavy duty terrain and one, well reinforced bike for the really rough long rides
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I remember someone around the campfire saying something about 142 miles from camp to camp via the white rim trail.

If you have a larger fuel tank I believe most rides are doable.
    I ran out of fuel with the stock tank 1/2 way up the Shafer switch back on the white rim trail ride.
    I hit reserve on the flats a few miles past our stop at the river.
    Washington Larry had lent me one of his rota packs so I could continue the journey.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

The White Rim Trail was the longest ride without any possible comercial re-fueling options. Without any diversions it can be as little as ~120 miles but we wandered a bit so I measured 142 miles. One dirt-crazed Canadian with a stock tank did run dry. Fortunately several of us carried extra fuel to give out but only efranz needed a splash to make it back to camp.
    I would recogmend a little extra fuel in any group just for emergencies.

Edit: My 2.3 gallon XT225 tank went on reserve at 119 miles rather than it's normal 75 miles. I suspect the filter sock inside the tank on the petcock's Main or the selector valve has a leak allowing another ~45 miles of travel before needing to switch over to the reserve setting. Two days prior also ran ~120 miles on the main for a Mineral Bottom/ Island in the Sky ride before needing to select reserve. Will pull tank and inspect sometime.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-22-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Great title for a thread Fred - lol

I see the Cyclerack casualties are still mounting up - mind you, in that kinda terrain I doubt that any rack could withstand the bashing of a gallon of fuel strapped to it

Has anyone ever tried mounting the fuel on the rear seat (which is load bearing) - you'd need a couple of short uprights to stop it from slipping, but it does "sound" sensible - maybe save the rear racks for clothing and such .....
    jtstdub, Ken, littletommy and 3 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Senior Member mountain redbelly's Avatar
    I can attest to some of the rough riding in Moab. Last year I broke my BBQ ManRack, thats perfect for me ; and sent it back to ManRacks. The guy over there was great, its just him I think. It broke where the tabs bolt under the seat. Not only did he re weld it but beefed it up with thicker steel tabs. Repainted it, Lightning fast return, and Free. Fred I think you should consider starting fresh. Your foot is looking old and I think you should buy a new bike.
    "meet me in the creek"

I think back to how Lizrdbrth felt about extra fuel, "Put it between your legs where it belongs". A gallon of fuel weighs about 8 pounds which is not that big of a deal until you start thinking about the bashing we put it through while hanging off the far rear of the rack. Just about the same as swinging an 8 pound sledge hammer down on the rack. I think for rides like the ones out west I would save my stock tank and have a 4 gallon Clarke tank for this occasion. Just buy a second seat so you can modify it and a switch of the seat and tank might take 15 minutes.

Wow Fred, You have poor Betty looking like a worn out old hag who was ridden hard and put up wet way too often. I sure hope you had more fun than she did.

GaryL
    jtstdub, littletommy, Ken and 6 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links