Was this the Death Wing Dance?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Was this the Death Wing Dance?

  1. #1
    Member revtbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    37

    Was this the Death Wing Dance?

    This afternoon I headed down an unknown trail, which was a mixture of gravel and clay. Recent heavy rains had left puddles but nothing serious.

    The trail suddenly turned and descended rapidly and I spied a 90° turn coming up. I peripherally noticed deep wet loose gravel so I applied the rear brakes lightly and The front brakes gently— or so I thought. Suddenly the front tire went sideways and down we went. I was barely going but a walking speed, so I wasn't hurt a bit when I bit the dirt.

    After hitting the kill switch, I heaved up the bike. I felt like a dumbass.

    I have the stock tire on the bike, and I was wondering if this was partially the result of the tires performance?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member phelonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Frostbite Falls Ill
    Posts
    2,719
    You just need more practice riding in crud, especially up and down crud.
    Phelonius

  3. #3
    Senior Member admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Frosty Hollow
    Posts
    13,174
    Quote Originally Posted by revtbob View Post
    This afternoon I headed down an unknown trail, which was a mixture of gravel and clay. Recent heavy rains had left puddles but nothing serious.

    The trail suddenly turned and descended rapidly and I spied a 90° turn coming up. I peripherally noticed deep wet loose gravel so I applied the rear brakes lightly and The front brakes gently— or so I thought. Suddenly the front tire went sideways and down we went. I was barely going but a walking speed, so I wasn't hurt a bit when I bit the dirt.

    After hitting the kill switch, I heaved up the bike. I felt like a dumbass.

    I have the stock tire on the bike, and I was wondering if this was partially the result of the tires performance?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What was your tire pressure? Lower tire pressure in any tire including the stock front tire well help in that kind of situation. Of course, that is not to say the stock tire wasn't at fault, because it doesn't do that well off road, but the lower pressure will help. There are some people who have ridden for just a short bit and have had a spill and got hurt badly, but others have ridden with that tire it's entire lifespan and nothing ever happened so a lot of it is the rider, not the tire.

    Just the same, and for peace of mind, your best bet would be to change that tire to a 241 or 244, or something better so that doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by admiral; 04-23-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Biking through Africa with Cornelis
    Posts
    17,595
    Typical deathwing.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  6. #5
    Senior Member scotti158's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Groton, NY
    Posts
    2,663
    Stock tire is OK unless your on gravel, mud, sand, dirt, grass, but other than that, it's OK.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

    1996 Yamaha TW200

    1995 Kawasaki KLR650

    2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

  7. #6
    Senior Member Elvesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Nanaimo BC
    Posts
    311
    I find the Shinko 241 much more forgiving than the stock front tire on loose ground. It maintains better traction in situations where the stocker bounces around or might wash out. It has probably saved me from going down a time or two when I've been using less than perfect off-road riding technique.
    John in Nanaimo

    2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

  8. #7
    Member revtbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    37
    Is the 4.0x18 the Shinko 241 size to get?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    admiral and littletommy like this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member ejfranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Stock tire is OK unless your on gravel, mud, sand, dirt, grass, but other than that, it's OK.
    You forgot roots, rock gardens, loom and leaves.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Stock tire is OK unless your on gravel, mud, sand, dirt, grass, but other than that, it's OK.
    The issue "the deathwing" has is... that when it lets go, it let's go fast and trying to save it is usually fruitless and impossible as your on your side in an instant... Learn and remember its limits and you'll slide out less. Better tires generally allow you to recover before eating dirt whereas with the deathwing there is no "in between", your up... then your down. That's been my experience anyway. It's ok on dry asphalt though, I've pushed it harder then I should have and been ok. But like scotti says with grass, gravel, sand, etc... watch what youre doing and learn it's limits. That's your job as the rider, to learn not only your bikes limits, but your own too. I rode a deathwing for a long time, didn't want to toss a new tire, but now having experienced much better tires it's just not worth using that tire, the cost of a good one is next to nothing compared to what you could damage in just one fall.
    admiral, ejfranz, Tweaker and 5 others like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

  11. #10
    Member revtbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    The issue "the deathwing" has is... that when it lets go, it let's go fast and trying to save it is usually fruitless and impossible as your on your side in an instant... Learn and remember its limits and you'll slide out less. Better tires generally allow you to recover before eating dirt whereas with the deathwing there is no "in between", your up... then your down. That's been my experience anyway. It's ok on dry asphalt though, I've pushed it harder then I should have and been ok. But like scotti says with grass, gravel, sand, etc... watch what youre doing and learn it's limits. That's your job as the rider, to learn not only your bikes limits, but your own too. I rode a deathwing for a long time, didn't want to toss a new tire, but now having experienced much better tires it's just not worth using that tire, the cost of a good one is next to nothing compared to what you could damage in just one fall.
    You described it exactly: " when it lets go, it lets go fast." That's how it happened to me. Even though I was barely going but a walking speed, the front tire slid out like it was on ice instead of wet, loose gravel. Scary.

    As soon as someone can confirm the correct size I'm ordering one!

    It is 4.0x18" right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. You Folks Like to Dance?
    By Fred in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM
  2. The "Death Wing" - and the end of an era ..........
    By Purple in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM
  3. Music Video - TW200 Dance
    By docjekyll2002 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 05:26 PM
  4. Still doing the Dance??
    By abartlett355 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 06:00 AM
  5. JerryT on his wing
    By longroof in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM