Better Bat-Ray?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Bat-Ray?

I got tired of kickstarting my TW and sprung for a batray. Followed some advice from the Airheads and went with a "Shorai" brand

About twice the price of a standard batray......but no acid, 1/6th the weight and 1/3rd the size. Supposedly longer life than

standard battery as well. Nothing bad about losing a few pounds on the TW and now theys some useable space in the battery box.

Being that I live in Commiefornia, I'll not be able to test cold weather functioning too easy but at seems to work pretty good so far.

Cutest little batray....not much bigger than 2D cells.

Keep riding

Will
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

I bought a Shorai last May. Has worked well for me. I like the small size of it and the fact that its acid free. Yeah, its more expensive, but I thought I'd give it a try. In cold weather, I just turn the key on and let the battery warm up for a few minutes (per instruction manual) and I'll hit the starter and boom, it starts.

I don't plug it in to a battery tender. It holds its charge wonderfully. Problem with the Battery Tender is that it won't go into float mode while plugged into the Shorai, it just keeps charging. I didn't want to spend another 80 bucks on the Shorai charger/tender.

I had to use almost all the foam they supply with it so it wouldn't bounce around in the battery compartment.

I'm happy with it.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Point37, never knew there was such an option. Great links, Thanks. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

you're welcome...there seems to be a lot more options out there for batteries...i belong to a few different forums (2 sportbike, 2 offroad, 1 supermoto and this one) so i sometimes remember different things that may help on other forums but the problem is i forget which forum i saw them on and the search function doesn't always help hehe

I decided to give a Shorai a try for my 97 TW, & I freek'n luv it!! Installed it a month ago, & it has passed every torture test I could give it, short of the extreme cold weather test. One of the reviewers of the brand claimed it spun his ducatti much faster than any lead acid battery ever had, which I took with a big grain of salt. But don't let it's little size fool you, that thing does crank the TW over FAST, and will keep it cranking for longer than my lead acid battery did! I'm going to put one in my V-Star sometime soon, as I like the idea of not having to deal with battery acid in bikes, less corrosion, etc. Nuf said, m.

Question on the Shorai you went with, which one: http://www.shoraipower.com/s-226888-TW200.aspx

There are two on their site for the T-Dub, so which one did you go with? Now that you have had it a while - your thoughts?

Thanks !

-Val-
    "Keep Public Lands Open to the Public" | Hidden Content

Could you actually use a LiPo on the bike? I know lipos have special chargers so not sure how long it would last with the bike charging system

Quote Originally Posted by MBGraphix View Post
    Question on the Shorai you went with, which one: http://www.shoraipower.com/s-226888-TW200.aspx

There are two on their site for the T-Dub, so which one did you go with? Now that you have had it a while - your thoughts?

Thanks !

-Val-

I went with the Standard Recommendation: LFX09L2-BS12.

I ordered mine from BatteryStuff.com. Cheaper than the Shorai website and free shipping.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

This all sounds good, but I wonder about the one line I read,--"We recommend using these batteries in temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius."-- We have plenty of temps. below this. What do you think?????
    "Ride 'till the sun goes down, then go home', (or camp out, like I do)

2012 DR 650

2009 T-Dub

2004 GL 1800

2002 Moto Guzzi EV

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota

1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links