Appreciation for the TW
Close

Well, after riding my new-to-me Virago 1100 for the past week or so and neglecting the poor little TW, I decided to let her stretch her legs this morning. I was beginning to think that I would hardly ride the TW now that I can keep up with the big boys and am open more road options with my Virago. Well, after my 12-mile ride to get to the train to go to work this morning, I was reminded of how fun the little TW is. Compared to the Virago, the TW is almost thinkless as far as riding her. I mean, the only thing I've personally ridden that's any easier than the TW is a scooter, but on a scooter, what do you do with your legs?

At first, because of the seating position, and because my Virago has forward controls, getting the feel for the TW, even though I logged about 2,000 miles last riding season on her, was weird. I like the seat height on the TW better than the Virago as I sit low on the Virago. Standing at a stoplight is great. Because of the forward controls on the Virago, I have to lift the weight of my legs on the pegs when starting after the light changes green, where on the TW, no problem. Just prop them up a tad, and I'm on the pegs. Yeah, but butt gets a little sore or tired even with the seat pad, but for a short 12-mile ride, it's no big deal. The TW is not so loud, and don't have that rumble pulsating through the helmet. When I start the cruiser in the morning to warm it up (I end up pushing it out in the street out of consideration of others at 6:00 am), even with stock exhaust, I'm waiting for the neighbors to come out and chase me down with frying pans, but I can let the TW warm up in the driveway near my neighbors bedroom window without even giving it a second thought.

Setting up the TW with all those little extras is just the fun part of the bike. It seems the extras are much cheaper and easier to install/mount. And, it just seems more fun to farkle out the TW, especially with homemade concoctions of my own or from others on this site.

All in all, the TW is definitely a keeper, and after this morning's ride, she will see plenty more, though local, miles this season.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Just running my old trails today doing recon to take my 11 year old

on his 110 into the woods.

I am happy to tool around and when gets slippery just put your feet down.

When she gets very hot doesn't seem to want to shift like 1st to neutral , maybe clutch

Anyway I am a happy camper

Yeah for me the TW200 is the answer to commute or make some store runs compared to my FZ-1. When doing the same on the faster bike I feel frustrated by my over potential and more likely to get a speeding ticket. So far on the TW I feel satisfied and much less likely to get a speeding ticket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I hear on that one. Ive been neglecting the ol SV so today i took her out to for a spin. Man i forgot how hard it is to stay out of the gas. Three times i caught myself in the triple digit range for a short time. Its not comfortable to ride at 60. About 85-100 feels perfect for cruising. Thats one reason i like the tub, 55-60 is about all she wants and me to. I would have to say ive had more fun on these little machines than anything else and the bikes/farkles are so cheap compared to others. Heck my friend spent more money on farkles on his klr than i did on my bike and farkles.

i too have thought of bigger bike but speed limet on the mt. is only 45-50 mph. so i belive the tw is a keeper for around hear.

I did 218 miles Monday on gravel roads with my '97, I never felt the need for more speed or power than the little bike can deliver.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Sponosred Links