TW Seat Dynamics
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello everyone! I am very new to the Forum and to my 2001 TW, I love it! Great little bike and great forum.

I am going to ask a VERY loaded question and I am only looking for some general answers, I know that everyone has a diffeerent riding style and everyone has a different shaped butt and body. But I am reading alot about how uncomfortable the seat on the TW is, and I would like a few suggestions.

I only ride the bike about 6 miles a day back and forth to work and have not found it painful. YET.

I raced motocross when I was a kid and was taught how to "Saddle up" up on the tank when going into turns, now I know after the few short rides on my TW, that this isn't going to happen alot and it is not needed much, it is just a fun little trail bike. Once I slide up into the crotch of the seat, I find that the foot controls are too far back. So I end up sitting way back on the seat.

I can have an experienced seat builder friend re-work the seat (tradework), but I honestly just don't know enough about what is causing all of the butt pain in the other riders.

Is it the general shape? Is it a foam issue, too hard, too soft? Is it too wide with squared edges? should it be made narrower?

I am positive that one fix wont work for everyone, I am just looking for a few suggestions...Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolBox Guy View Post
    Hello everyone! I am very new to the Forum and to my 2001 TW, I love it! Great little bike and great forum.

I am going to ask a VERY loaded question and I am only looking for some general answers, I know that everyone has a diffeerent riding style and everyone has a different shaped butt and body. But I am reading alot about how uncomfortable the seat on the TW is, and I would like a few suggestions.

I only ride the bike about 6 miles a day back and forth to work and have not found it painful. YET.

I raced motocross when I was a kid and was taught how to "Saddle up" up on the tank when going into turns, now I know after the few short rides on my TW, that this isn't going to happen alot and it is not needed much, it is just a fun little trail bike. Once I slide up into the crotch of the seat, I find that the foot controls are too far back. So I end up sitting way back on the seat.

I can have an experienced seat builder friend re-work the seat (tradework), but I honestly just don't know enough about what is causing all of the butt pain in the other riders.

Is it the general shape? Is it a foam issue, too hard, too soft? Is it too wide with squared edges? should it be made narrower?

I am positive that one fix wont work for everyone, I am just looking for a few suggestions...Thank you.
    My opinion is the foam has to be more dense and the the seat should be a bit wider. I tend to stay back on the seat as well and don't have a problem with the seat shape near the tank as others have mentioned. I am good for about 3 hours ride time before I start to squirm even with a homemade seat pad.

I know this may be "HARD" to believe "BUTT" I just bought a stearns pad and for the # of miles I ride it has worked well beyond my hopes....OMM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gun Ship- EXACTLY. I went seven hours yesterday and the last 4 were solid. For an hour and a half I was miserable. Im glad this topic was here because I was going to start it myself.

I would like to hear from those of you who have reworked their seat (I know Lizrd said he did) and those who went with the seat concepts seat, does it fix the problem? Unlimited hours or just extend the riding time before the pain sets in like the coleman seat pad does?

Toolbox Guy, if your not riding any further than that- ever- then I'd say your fine. Otherwise, I get about an hour out of stock seat; two to three out of seat after the coleman seat cover.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Yeah, for sure it isnt a problem yet. I dont get alot of seat time, but hopefully in the future I will take longer rides.

I'm just not sold yet on the big black add on seat pad.

I think we're sorta neighbors. You can ride mine sometime and get a feel for what needs to be done.

A guy in Apple Valley does my upholstery. Tell him how and where you want the foam, hand him 40 bucks or so and yer done.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have the Seat Concepts seat and love it. I run out of gas before any discomfort. In fact since the switch I can never recall any time I though about seat comfort. With the stock seat I could maybe ride a half hour or so, with the stearns pad another half hour. The Seat Concepts foam is wider, deeper, firmer and the not slip top is great. For the price, it is a good deal compared to the cost of a one off custom seat. Ymmv!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Since group buy for those is done I guess back up to $160?

We apparently have no upholstery shops in Fort Payne for cryin out loud. A couple show up on google but they're shut down. Guess seat concepts or goin out of town on this one. My butt demands action!
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

If you have a good staple gun you can do it yer self. Pretty simple, have someone pull it tight and staple away...you can always pullem out and tighten it up.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    If you have a good staple gun you can do it yer self. Pretty simple, have someone pull it tight and staple away...you can always pullem out and tighten it up.

+1 on the seat concepts. When the seat foam arrived and I compare it to the tw foam, I laughed out loud. The seat concept foam is not only wider toward the rear cruising position, the foam is more dense--almost like a good quality visco-elastic foam. As others have said, I was fed-up with the seat on my TW, and the cost of the seat concepts is fair compared to the custom seat builders. In fact, I was on the waiting list at Renazco when the I joined the other forum members and did the group buy.

Dusty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links