wide tires on dirt/gravel?
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: wide tires on dirt/gravel?

I am thinking about getting a supermoto (17" wheels) and setting it up with off road tires similar to the tw. I am wondering how these small/wide tires handle? I figure this would be a good place to get some first hand info...

How do they perform compared to a larger narrower dual sport tire on gravel, dirt, fire roads, trails, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by handyman439 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a supermoto (17" wheels) and setting it up with off road tires similar to the tw. I am wondering how these small/wide tires handle? I figure this would be a good place to get some first hand info...

How do they perform compared to a larger narrower dual sport tire on gravel, dirt, fire roads, trails, etc.?

I don't think SM tires are as wide as what we have on the TW. I think they would sink in more though, can't say for sure.
    -Szj

2001 TW

Smaller motards tend to run 140 rears and 110 fronts. Others go up to 160 rears and 130 fronts. Smaller than TW tires. Many motard owners want to dabble in dualsporting, so some dualsport tires are becoming available in motard sizes. I'd love to have a WR250X with a set of Karoos or Big Blocks on it. As more and more people actually try fat tires there is less and less talk against them for dualsport road use. Narrower tires will always be faster, but with an aging population that never really was as fast as it claims it was, the extra traction of fat tires is slowly but surely gaining in popularity. Air down to about 12psi and they float across just about anything at a sane speed for an old fart to be riding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I wanted the best control on dirt and gravel, would a wide tire suit me better? I want to be able to flick and slide the bike around corners.

Interesting notion

If its soft mud or sand then yes it will be better.

I don't think TW tires are rated over like 90 mph though

Flick and slide? Narrow tires with no tread will provide the lack of traction you seek.

Sorry of this is a stupid post. I figured wide tires would give better control on gravel, but found mixed opinions... It's hard to research the topic, I figured there would be people here that have ridden both types of bikes and could shed some light.

Tdub has kept up with a "former desert racer" sliding all over the place on a 510 Husky on a twisty part of River Road in Big Bend National Park, with a road surface ranging from course sand to small boulders. Several riding buddies have expressed surprise at Tdub's ability to keep up with the pack on gravel roads through the Ozark National Forest. The proof is in the pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Tdub has kept up with a "former desert racer" sliding all over the place on a 510 Husky on a twisty part of River Road in Big Bend National Park, with a road surface ranging from course sand to small boulders. Several riding buddies have expressed surprise at Tdub's ability to keep up with the pack on gravel roads through the Ozark National Forest. The proof is in the pudding.

Since we're speaking of TW's, shouldn't it go like "The proof is in the putting"?

Big Bend is on my bucket list...putting, not sliding
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by handyman439 View Post
    Sorry of this is a stupid post. I figured wide tires would give better control on gravel, but found mixed opinions... It's hard to research the topic, I figured there would be people here that have ridden both types of bikes and could shed some light.
    I saw a 250 Yamaha Motard at a local dealer set up with K270 Kendas front and rear, I believe the size was 5.10 x 17 for both. Besides looking really cool you couldn't help but think this thing would fly on the trails. I know my front 4.00x18 Kenda does well on gravel roads especially when aired down somewhat. I have also been passed on gravel roads by larger dual sports at higher rates of speed than I was capable of and they didn't seem to have any issues with with the narrower tires. I would have to believe that a good dual sport tire for your motard is going to outperform the standard tire by a wide margin while offroad and still perform decently onroad. If I ever got rid of my TW I would probably do what you're thinking of . Good luck and post pictures if you get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links