What does it cost?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What does it cost?

What does it cost?

Ive often wondered what dealerships and local motorcycle shops charge for servicing motorcycles. It seems to me that if a person is not mechanical at all and only takes there motorcycle to the shop that it wouldn't take long to have some hefty expenses. Not to mention how long it takes to get your bike back from the shop. What is your experience on this topic?
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

90 bucks an hour...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Ive often wondered what dealerships and local motorcycle shops charge for servicing motorcycles. It seems to me that if a person is not mechanical at all and only takes there motorcycle to the shop that it wouldn't take long to have some hefty expenses. Not to mention how long it takes to get your bike back from the shop. What is your experience on this topic?
    Time of year dictates how long the shop will have your bike, spring being the worst. My two local dealerships are now up to $80 an hour and that is not nearly as bad as their parts markups!!!

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I couldn't work on my own bike, I probably wouldn'g have one. Just too expensive IMO.
    Smitty Blackstone and Peterb like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

$95 here in MN. Also found this posted by the dealer:

cost.PNG
    Last edited by 1911garand; 05-04-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Tweaker and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

$85.00 an hour here in the NYC 'burbs.
    Smitty Blackstone and Ken like this.

What chaps my A** is that you pay a mechanic to learn how to work on your bike. One of the most simple engines out there and they work on it like they are working on a Boeing 747 and charge you way too much for their learning curve... I don't mind paying for service, but you had better worked on one before. I shouldn't have to tell you how to do it... Geez
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Around here its over $100 an hour for service at most dealerships that i have seen.

I do use my local dealer to do some service on my Ducati. I always have them do tires since i do not have the equipment to do them myself, nor do i want to risk messing up a rim that costs ~1000 to replace. I also have them do the annual service that includes an oil change, coolant flush, brake and clutch flush and a bolt check on the entire bike. Normally i have them do tires as well at the same time since i generally need them. The annual service part costs ~400 bucks and that includes the oil,filter,coolant and brake fluid etc. Tires are another 600 bucks. I also have them do the every 15k mile valve adjustments/belt replacement since they are just flat out a pain to do and i simply do not want to do it myself, not that i cant i just have no desire to tear the bike down that far. That is an involved service that costs like a grand since it takes like 6 hours to do plus parts. My dealer is small and the service dept is fantastic, they generally only have the bike a day or two max.
    Last edited by jb882; 05-04-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Shop rates varies as follows:

shop labor.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Some things would cost a ton, some would not be so bad. But it would depend on the shop too.

I'm not a licensed anything but my dad never gave me too much of a hard time when he came out to the garage and found his tools scattered on the floor and something or other all torn apart because...well, just because.
    As time went on, more and more of the things that got torn apart actually got put back together...and some of them even worked.

Everybody's different, but if you have the intelligence to make it through life, and you have enough of an interest in motorcycles to own one, there is pretty much nothing you couldn't do to one with a basic tool kit.

My son is 27, and a bunch of years I told him, people your age should take a short course on how to: start a flooded lawnmower, change a belt on a snowblower, install a ceiling fan, and change the oil in your lawn mower/lawn tractor/snowblower, etc. And the ones that took that course and liked it could open a business and be millionaires because none of these beard-growing lumberjack-posing people are going to have the first clue how to do ANY of those things themselves.

I feel that the shops are for the folks that have the bucks, have the big-buck bikes, and don't bat an eye spending $500 at the dealer 'getting it out' in the spring. Myself, I'd much sooner spend a couple evenings out in the shed, get my hands dirty, bleed a little bit, and learn. Hell, I never rode a bike until AFTER I brought mine home on a trailer. But it's all just nuts and bolts...really when you really shake it down, there's nothing complicated about our bikes. Short of actual engine work, there's absolutely no reason that Average Joe can't do his own work. Take an hour and watch YouTube...I'm will to bet that if you need to do something, there's likely someone that has a video on YouTube that explains how to do it, from 3 different camera angles. Spend a couple hours learning a skill that you'll have for life.

I know there are dozens of videos on how to change a motorcycle tire, chain maintenance and lubing and adjusting.... Friends and I laugh..."How the heck did we fix anything before YouTube?"
    We're in the information age, and anything we could possibly need to know is seconds away at our fingertips.....I can't understand people taking their bikes to the shop for things they could build skills and easily do themselves.
    But, yes....some people live in an apartment and have no place that they can do any work....

Sorry...I'm in one of those moods. hehe
    GaryL and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links