TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

looking at a 2005 tw200. your help please

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Gene Bond 
#1 ·
things to look for? my other 2 wheelers have no motors, so my exp. with bikes is some what limited. Ive owned honda 3 wheelers and a Suzuki 550. street bike. I've read about base gasket issues, is this real common?

any other input on what to look for when buying would be appreciated!

thanks,

Boz

#2 ·
What issue is that? Like any bike things wear out except that fact very few engines are as tough as this one. When this bike first came out in 1987 to prove how tough it was Yamaha had a rider ride to the north pole. Besides the toughest engine which is the Honda 50cc cub engine there probably is no engine tougher.

#3 ·
Likely, a 2005 bike would fall into a range of years that "may" have an issue with the base gasket. The 2006 that I purchased new now seems to be 'weeping' oil around the base of the cylinder. There is no comprehensive study that I am aware of that would accurately attach a percentage to how likely any bike in the mid 2000's would leak.

For us older riders, the standing joke many years ago was, 'if it's British, its going to leak oil'.

Personally, I would not labor over the base gasket issue. B-Dub put a great tutorial together on how to change it, and that has set my mind at ease. Gerry

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/2668-beginners-guide-to-base-gasket-replacement/

#4 ·
Typed up a long post that disappeared..

Chain/sprockets need to be replaced if stock, this can be used as bargaining chip if price is a little high. Same goes for tires. If stock they are 7 years old and need to be replaced.

Check around oil fill cap for obvious signs that they just added oil before you arrived. If it looks like that is the case you may want to confront them-- bike may leak or burn oil.

If the engine is warm when you get there, it might start terribly when cold so perhaps ask if you can wait until it cools down to try to start it. This will give you a little time to look over the rest of the bike.

Look for bent handlebars and/or controls, bent shifter/pegs/brake lever etc. For signs that the bike has been "dropped" in the past. Make sure the speedo and all lighting systems are functioning as they should.

Good luck and have fun!

#5 ·
I've got an '05 with 12,000 miles on it right now. How many miles are on the one you are looking at? Mine has a few quirks on it, but nothing debilitating that cost me tons to fix. The base gasket is leaking on mine, but my neighbor also has an '05 and hers isn't leaking. Go figure, right? I'd just check for rust, find out if it has been used hard off roading, make sure the shocks feel good, and that the engine idles and revs smoothly. These bikes don't seem to have too many mechanical issues if basic maintenance is done. Good luck!

#6 ·
The 2005 colors look great too! I would not stress over it.

#7 ·
I BOUGHT IT!! pick it up today. it has 11,000 miles. the chain was loose, sprockets and chain replace soon. to pick sprocket combo I want to see how my commute to work goes, 30 mile round trip 25mph to 60mph dirt road with steep hills and pavement.

It does have a weep around the base, I'll keep an eye on it/oil level, and do what I gota do.

Thanks for all your help!

From Keene NH,

Boz

pic's this afternoon..

#10 ·
Agreed. Mine's an '05 and I think it's the best looking year.No problems yet with mine, but it was barely used when I got it and I haven't done a lot better
I ride when I can, but have a lot of other toys and priorities

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.