New owner....Registration question.....
Close

Hello, just bought a 99 TW 200 with 3800 miles on it....actually it belonged to my brother, who purchased it brand new. It hasnt been ridden in about 3 years....so it needs a little, work...but overall, it is in really great shape. My question is about the title, and registering the bike. On the title, it says "cannot be registered" on it...and the type says "atv". My brother never registered this to drive on the highway....it has only been used to ride around a farm, in the fields and some trails in the woods. Shouldn't the type say "enduro"? And what do I need to do to drive this on the highway? Anyone else run into this? Again, this was a 1 owner bike, only been titled to one person....all serial numbers match of course....and I know these bike are street legal. I am going to take the title up to the title office this week, and show it to them, and find out what needs to be done, just wanted to get a heads up and see if anyone else ran into this. Thanks!!

What State?
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

This is in Illinois

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm going to guess that someone chose to register it as an ATV, probably because it costs less, and may allow reduced insurance limits. If so, its probably a matter of having the local DMV inspect the bike to see that it is indeed street legal (blinkers, headlight, etc.). By all means let us know your results. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Well....I think I have gotten a good start on getting this resolved....spoke to a very nice lady named April this morning at Illinois Sec. of States office in Springfield and she said they would have to check the "certificate of origin" on their microfishe. That would specify if it was for on/off road use. She said someone would call me back by the end of the day. Only 1 hour went by, and April called me. She said that she spoke with someone else in her office that actually knew what this bike was, and he dug around and found the certificate. She said it is definately street legal...next, she gave me the number for the Sec of State Police Inspection, and would need to request a "VSD 43" form, which is a Law Enforcement Certification form the Officer will fill out when he makes his inspection. Send this form with the title when I register it, and should be good to go. They will amend the title to make it street legal. Just thought I would post the results here....I will post back after the inspection.

Sounds good. Have fun!

Sponosred Links