Old vs new acceleration?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are the old bikes faster than the 01-present bikes. I know that some stock bikes run better than others but the reason i ask this is because i have a 98 and a 07. The 98 has 7,500 miles, 116 jet, 14/47. The 07 has 2,100 miles 130 jet 14/50. The 98 feels like it accelerates from low throttle "idle-1/4" alot harder than the 07. Could it be because the cv carb opens slower which makes it not hit as hard initially? Is it faster well i havent raced them side by side yet. I do belive the stock gearing has a higher top speed than the 14/47 on flat ground. I have had the 98 to about 71mph while the 07 has been to 76mph. I like the gearing on both of them. The 14/47 does have a little drop in rpm at 55mph and its alot better in town for stop n goes "1st gear is longer," but it doesnt have the highway power "torque" or the top speed that the 14/50 does. Oh and you can mushroom hunt in 1st gear with the stock gearing+. When i first got my bike i thought the gearing was to low but now im thinking its about right...

I'm very interested to see what others say about this. I'm days away from buying a 15 front or 47 rear sprocket thinking the bike would enjoy lower RPMs at 60 or so. I just bought a 2005 TW with 900 miles on the clock...

Quote Originally Posted by torkman15 View Post
    I'm very interested to see what others say about this. I'm days away from buying a 15 front or 47 rear sprocket thinking the bike would enjoy lower RPMs at 60 or so. I just bought a 2005 TW with 900 miles on the clock...

I recently got another and was curious how it would compare with my 2002 that Ive had for 5 years.

The new bike is an 03 (stock, 10k miles) with a 50t, and my '02 (fmf/k&n/rejet, 6k miles) with a 42t.

Drag races 0-50 are neck and neck, with the lighter rider just edging out the win no matter the bike.

Was really surprised how close the 2 are on the street. Thought the stock gearing would overcome the modifications on the '02.

Didnt have a chance for top speed runs, maybe this weekend.

2002 TW200

2003 TW200

2002 Mean Streak

2002 Speed Four

2006 FZ6

1999 Jog

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FootDoc View Post
    I have an 03 (stock, 10k miles) with a 50t, and a '02 (fmf/k&n/rejet, 6k miles) with a 42t.

Drag races 0-50 are neck and neck, with the lighter rider just edging out the win no matter the bike.

Was really surprised how close the 2 are on the street. Thought the stock gearing would overcome the modifications on the '02.

Didnt have a chance for top speed runs, maybe this weekend.

THIS is great information! Thanks for sharing, and I'd really like to hear how the top speed is different with the gearing.

I have a buddy that swears the older carbs respond quicker and pull harder than the the newer vacuum carb. I'll have to ride his 99 and see for myself I prefer the disk brake up front though the minimal difference in carbs isn't enough for me to lose my front disk brake.

The guy I bought my 95 from had just got a newer one to replace it. I am not sure what year but I know it was newer then 01. He told me that the 95 was faster and he didn't know why. I have ridden a 2011 model, but only at parking lot speeds during the Team Oregon Class so I don't have anything to compare my 95 too.
    Bryan Bagwell

1995 Yamaha TW200

1983 Toyota PU

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara

There are dozens of variables that affect performance:

1) Carb jetting;

2) Fuel quality

a) age

additive packages

c) contamination;

3) Engine assembly clearances;

4) Internal friction surface texture;

5) Valve seat width;

6) Internal components orientation;

7) Condition and lubrication of change;

8) Contamination inside chain;

9) Tire pressures;

10) Valve adjustment;

11) Spark plug type and gap;

12) Carbon build-up;

13) Engine break-in/wear-out;

... ad nauseum.

Some are obvious, some not so obvious. We're talking TW200s here. Does it really matter?

When your talking 15H.P oh yeah! It must be the synthetic oil. Its worth at least 5HP.

OK wind at my back going to work today I could run 65 easy, coming home 25-30 mph headwinds 4th would Zing me to 55 max but 5th gear couldnt maintain 55 and would slow me to about 50. I need intake work and a better flowing exhaust first I think....carb is bone stock too. What can I do to add torque accross the entire rev range???

Quote Originally Posted by torkman15 View Post
    .... What can I do to add torque accross the entire rev range???

Start with a different bike!

It is a 14 hp motor. If you got it doing 60+ leave it alone.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links