Hoping to purchase this weekend
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have appointments to check out two bikes;

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2881162974.html

and

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...922043303.html

Both private parties. First listing, the seller is reputable (google searches, back and forth, etc) and upfront with treatment of the bike;

He said it's been sitting for about a year and a half with no gas in it. also says after starting and running every so often, the battery doesn't seem that good.

Now I am giddy to get a bike, so I am hoping it's in good shape as I'll be driving close to two hours to see it.

What would a new battary entail? Are bike batteries like car batteries, universal and available everywhere?

I am going to bring $2200 in cash with me, but going to offer $1900 and go from there.

Any other advice would be great, as I am a noob

Also, he holds the title, but registration is expired. I assume I would just need to register it under my name?

Batteries are easy. You can get them at most places and their anywhere from $30-$60 in auto stores, and as much as you want to spend online and at dealerships.

He just signs the title over to you and then you get insurance and get it registered in your name and a new title issued to you in your name.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the fast replies. As for the speedo...are the parts to fix that obtainable?

Due to the seller communication and just a better feel, as long as the 2002 runs OK (bringing roomate and friend who are experienced riders)...I am going to make an offer

My understanding for California is that you have to pay a tax/fee/fine of some sort to cover (up to) the past 4 years it hasn't been registered, as the state assumes you were operating it on the road without registration. I don't know how much a year's worth of registration costs there though. I bought one from over there and couldn't get a title sent unless I paid like 600 bucks or wrote them a letter saying it was trailered to me and I never operated it there. If you've just transferred the title to your name, you may not have to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Thanks for the fast replies. As for the speedo...are the parts to fix that obtainable?

Due to the seller communication and just a better feel, as long as the 2002 runs OK (bringing roomate and friend who are experienced riders)...I am going to make an offer

this is where i buy my parts from...for a 2002 here is the fiche...

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...32/Group/METER

good luck man...let us know how you make out

Both of those bikes have been listed for a while. I'd offer $1500...settle on a top price you'll pay (even if it'd gold plated)..saves you a two hour drive.

Ask yourself "Why haven't they sold?" Good deals don't last in socal.

Having said that, the two bikes I just bought were lingerers on CL...I made a most-I'll-pay offer on the phone. Both bikes are sound.
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

I hate when people say speedo cable broke. I've ridden a long time and many bikes and never had one break on me. I just feel they break/unplug the speedo and run up the miles and then say "I've have this bike 10yrs and it only has 1000 miles on it." and then you have a 2008 for the same price I'd go for the 2008 and take a drive. Maybe he'll meet you half way or something.

Quote Originally Posted by junk munk View Post
    I hate when people say speedo cable broke. I've ridden a long time and many bikes and never had one break on me. I just feel they break/unplug the speedo and run up the miles and then say "I've have this bike 10yrs and it only has 1000 miles on it." and then you have a 2008 for the same price I'd go for the 2008 and take a drive. Maybe he'll meet you half way or something.

if you look at the pictures it looks like the speedo took a hit and was smashed...probably what broke the cable

The second one (2008) is only about 30 mins. Planning on seeing it Satursay and if that falls thru I can see the 2002 Sunday . I will bring cash in hand and start low. Is the asking price reasonable?

Carb cleaning and license plate frame missing, sounds like of I offered 1600-1800 cash on spot he would deal.

Speaking of carb cleaning...would that be a fun weekend project?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links