Average Time and Speed Over Two Years and One Month
Close

When I bought the tach for my TW it came with an hour meter on it. The clock runs when the motor is running. RPM is irrelevant. So.......today I am riding around and I look at the hour meter and it says 240 hours. A little quick math and that equals 10 days in the saddle. I came home and looked in my records and find that I installed the tach/hour meter about 2 years and 1 month ago, or about 760 days. A little more work with the calculator and 240 hours equals 14400 minutes. Divide 14400 by 760 and I rode the TW an average of 18.9 minutes per day. Some how that doesn't seem enough. I must try harder in the future.

Then I started looking for pictures of when I installed the tach/hour meter and found one that also showed the odometer. It is not real clear but I think you can see the mileage is 9,292 with 0 hours on the clock.

I took a picture of today's readings.

15,903 minus 9292 equals 6611 miles and I did that in 240 hours. So 6611/240 = 27.5 mph which is my average speed for the last 2 years and 1 month. That actually seems a decent average to me so I won't attempt to increase it and to dispel any notion I am a slow poke I have ridden hours on end at 50 and 60 mph. Not a speed demon but pushing the TW with 14/55 sprockets close to its limit.

In summary I have to say I am now glad I have the hour meter.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

I probably average 30-35 mph on my TW. I always just explore backroads at 40-50 mph, but it would be lower cause sometimes I go through 25 mph zones through town and neighborhood areas.

Now on my 919 I probably average 60-70 even with 25-35 mph zones thrown in There's nothing like cruising a smooth wide open country road at 75-85 mph with some 100-120 mph bursts on the straights. No driveways/side road for idiots to pull out of, virtually no way to get "busted", beautiful scenery and a nice quick fun pace. Ahhhhhh....people that don't ride don't know how much they're missing!
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sol View Post
    I probably average 30-35 mph on my TW. I always just explore backroads at 40-50 mph, but it would be lower cause sometimes I go through 25 mph zones through town and neighborhood areas.

Now on my 919 I probably average 60-70 even with 25-35 mph zones thrown in There's nothing like cruising a smooth wide open country road at 75-85 mph with some 100-120 mph bursts on the straights. No driveways/side road for idiots to pull out of, virtually no way to get "busted", beautiful scenery and a nice quick fun pace. Ahhhhhh....people that don't ride don't know how much they're missing!

According to my gps when I am riding the tw on my trails, which are mostly technical and 6 feet wide or less, I poke along at an average of around 13mph. On open roads I usually keep it in the 45 to 50mph range. That's fine with me but I was lusting for more fun on the wide open and empty roads around me so I picked up an fz6r and now I have the best of both worlds. I am not quite to the 1000 mile break in so I have yet to open her up on the straights, but sure is nice to have the power to pull away from those annoying tailgaters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    When I bought the tach for my TW it came with an hour meter on it. The clock runs when the motor is running. RPM is irrelevant. So.......today I am riding around and I look at the hour meter and it says 240 hours. A little quick math and that equals 10 days in the saddle. I came home and looked in my records and find that I installed the tach/hour meter about 2 years and 1 month ago, or about 760 days. A little more work with the calculator and 240 hours equals 14400 minutes. Divide 14400 by 760 and I rode the TW an average of 18.9 minutes per day. Some how that doesn't seem enough. I must try harder in the future.

Then I started looking for pictures of when I installed the tach/hour meter and found one that also showed the odometer. It is not real clear but I think you can see the mileage is 9,292 with 0 hours on the clock.

I took a picture of today's readings.

15,903 minus 9292 equals 6611 miles and I did that in 240 hours. So 6611/240 = 27.5 mph which is my average speed for the last 2 years and 1 month. That actually seems a decent average to me so I won't attempt to increase it and to dispel any notion I am a slow poke I have ridden hours on end at 50 and 60 mph. Not a speed demon but pushing the TW with 14/55 sprockets close to its limit.

In summary I have to say I am now glad I have the hour meter.

Sounds like you need a hobby(o;.. That's a good daily average... Now in michigan you need to consider the weather in winter... Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. Cuts down our riding by 1/3rd.. OMM.

Sponosred Links