TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Help 2017 tw tool kit?

10K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  SportsterDoc 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if my brand new 2017tw was supposed to come with a tool kit?

#8 ·
Don't forget to be realistic about what you actually need, and what you'd actually use out on the trail. Something that's always worked good for me with ATVs and stuff is to use the tools you carry with you to do any repairs and maintenance. You'll get a real good idea of the stuff that's just taking up space and the stuff you actually need but aren't carrying.

#5 ·
Welcome. The sad part about this is the sales staff not telling you about the location of the toolkit. Oh, sure you could have read it in the owners manual and all while at home after riding hours (because we don't read during riding time right? ha ha), but still, they should go over the bike a little better for us. I suppose they think we're all on the same experience level when it comes to these things and we're not. Have fun riding your new 2017 TW!

#6 ·
That's a good one Admiral. When I bought my TW, 1995. I was looking for a used bike, my first one. I had no idea of prices so I first check out new prices. Some used are as much as new ones. I was calling around and the dealer said they had a 200 with 125 miles, though I was really looking for a 250. I went to check it out right before closing time. I bought it, writing them a check, the TW200 I still have. Funny part, I told them I had no way to get it home. The one worker lived near me and followed me home, pulled it out of his truck and took off. I only operated a minibike before. It's a good thing I had some mechanical knowledge. I found the choke, started it up and off I went. I found out the first day never downshift into first, the tire went sliding. The dealer had told me 0. I later also found out the helmet I bought from them was about 2 sizes to big. The dealers should really learn to evaluate their customers better to benefit all.

#11 ·
I didn't realize until getting my new bike home that I didn't get a user manual or tool kit on my brand new 2017 TW. Called the dealer and it took them several days to come up with a manual.

However, they're telling me the bike does not come with an OEM tool kit. That's really frustrating since I can easily locate it in the schematics.

I know it's just a cheap factory tool kit, and I will just use my own tool roll, but I think I'd kinda like to have it. For whatever reason, I always tend to think a little more of a used bike when all the original parts are there... including the tool kit.

What do you guys think? Should I push the dealer to get me the kit?

#15 ·
the tool kits are absolute garbage I throw them away on all my TW's I think it's a dis-service to stick people with them. Always build a proper tool kit it's only a few bucks to have a kit that will actually do the job in an emergency. Yes the dealer should include a kit but I think they actually did you a favor. If anything tell them you want cash back not the dumb tool kit lol

#16 ·
PlacerLode, perhaps you are doing a dis-service to your second hand TW purchasers by not including or offering the OEM toolkit so that new owners can at least begin with a JIS screwdriver, spark plug socket and a way of turning said socket before they damage anything. It is a challenge to bundle comparable quality replacement tools in the available place provided by Yamaha leaving your customers the option of either riding under-equiped or creating alternate tools and an alternate storage location. Some folks also like their TWs to be in a pristine, as new, condition.

If you offered said "absolute garbage" OEM toolkits for sale you might be surprised at the demand.

#19 · (Edited)
I am another to suggest that some tool-kit items have value and should be saved. Though it was modded in a way that allowed me to us a tire-iron for added leverage, think the 19/22mm box wrench is a keeper. Works great on the oil drain cap as well, the front & real axle nuts, but only with the tire-iron extension. Will see if I can post a picture as all my Photobucket stuff is gone.

Attachments

#20 ·
I carried both factory and supplemental tools, per this thread, post 1.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/32745-2017-fasteners-supplemental-tool-kit.html

When I traded the TW on the Moto Guzzi, I let the tool kit go with it.
The Moto Guzzi had next to nothing and I had been looking for a couple open end wrenches, such as needed for securing the mirrors.
I traded it on the XT250, before completing the tool kit, even though I rode it distances to Utah and Arizona.

On the XT250, I carried the Yamaha tool kit and my socket set, etc.
When I traded it on the CB1100, I kept most of the Yamaha tools.
Under the seat of the Honda CB 1100 are 3 Yamaha open end wrenches, plus the socket set, etc...as well as a foot pump and Sean N Air.
I do like to be prepared.

Bottom line, yes, I'd push for the factory tool kit. Don't care much for the Yamaha screwdriver and combo pliers, but the wrenches are handy for adjustments.

#21 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. When the dealer called this morning to tell me he had the manual ready for me to pick up but there was no tool kit, I said, "Hmmm... I'll have to check on that." I looked up the part number and took it with me expecting to have to prove my case, but by the time I went by to pick up the manual, the salesman had decided there actually was a tool kit and said he'd order it for me.

Didn't want to make a stink over something as small as the OEM tool kit, though, because I really like this dealer. Burning bridges and all that. It's only about 2 miles from home and it's the only Honda/Yamaha dealer in the region. Plus, I'd like to buy more from them in the future. They don't sell much on two wheels, so make pretty good deals if you're interested in the two wheel stock they have.

As it turned out, I didn't even have to argue the point, so I'm happy. :)

#24 ·
While I never stated the OEM tools are quality items I do claim that their very presence is appreciated when no other tools are available.
I see many pictures of members bikes without any visible supplemental tool storage.
One can only hope they have the OEM kit onboard should they have a minor issue in a remote location.
A bad screwdriver is better than nothing when it comes to saving that loose screw from backing all the way out and getting lost. Who wants to walk, or to ride home holding onto a dangling hand guard?
The human mind can be a wonderfully adaptive source of innovation but it needs raw materials to work with.
Lost a muffler bolt? See that fence over there? Go "borrow" some wire and fix it! Then ride home rather than walk.
Oh, that's right, you didn't want those cheap Yamaha pliers so you have nothing but your teeth, your wits, but little else to take advantage of the resources available.
I wish the TW I bought used had come with the OEM toolkit.

#25 ·
I too was told there wasn't a tool kit for my TW. Walah, there it was when I pulled the right side cover off. I have bee blown so much smoke by salesmen that I don't believe most of what they have to say.
The thing is, be up on what you are buying and know what is what when you go into the dealership. I can't tell you how many times I have called them on their
BS and walked away. I will not deal with a salesman that doesn't know their product.

Just like getting an oil change at the local quicky lube. They come out showing that your tranny needs to be changed, the diferential look a bit dirty. One was telling my front differential needed changed really bad. I just told him. I came in here for an oil change. Quit trying to blow bs up my backside, my truck is not a 4x4 and it does not have a front differential. So get it done and let me out of here.

#27 ·
As PL said...not there? No Problem...basically unusable junk anyway...carry a good set in your tool kit...took mine out once time...looked at it, laughed and put it back where it came...have not taken it out in 4 years since...:rolleyes:

#28 ·
87's never break down, so I didn't even bother to look for one... :p

;)

Reactions: Hoot Gibson and Ken
#34 ·
87's never break down, so I didn't even bother to look for one...
Humorous, but when a curious wild horse sticks her head between mirror and your helmet, bumping the mirror, it is handy to have a wrench to tighten the mirror!
In the last 15 months of riding, that is the only tool I have needed on the road...but I still strongly prefer to be prepared as much as practical.

Sky Ecoregion Ranch Landscape Bovine

Ecoregion Horse Bovine Landscape Pasture

#30 · (Edited)
I finally got the OEM tool kit for my 17 TW from the dealer, and thought I'd post pics for reference in case anyone else ever has the same question.

The salesman just raided the other TW he had in the warehouse to get my tool kit. I told him he was just gonna have to order another kit when I came to buy that bike, too!

The first pic shows everything I got in the bag plus the rubber strap for holding the kit in place. I tried to get close enough to show the sizes of all the wrenches in the kit. The second pic shows it all bagged up. And the third pic shows it installed on the bike.

Attachments

#31 ·
Thanks for sharing that, nice pics too!! :)

#33 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.