80s TW CDI Reverse Engineering
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi All:

Myself and another engineer are working on reverse engineering CDI units for our BW200 and BW350

bikes. These have become almost impossible to find, people buy bikes just for the CDI, and when

available they are expensive $300-$500.

We see the TW200 1980s models have almost the same motor and CDI unit. I own a 2003 TW and

a buddy has an 87. As I understand it they change the CDI in 88 and then it remained the same

for a bunch of years.

What I am looking for is any dead TW200 CDIs that anyone may have and are willing to donate

to the project, I can pay for shipping to me as needed.

We are depotting a dead BW200, BW350 CDIs that we are getting from the yahoo Big Wheel group

I am in, similar to this group but on yahoo, check us out.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/YAMAHABIGWHEELS/

The plan is to redesign the CDI units to use more modern electronics, programmable

spark advance curves and add protection from failure. The old blown units give

us insight into what to protect in the new design and to see whats common among these

very similar bikes.

We have used our x-ray machine to look inside two of my working CDIs, here is an

link to some images, its pretty cool that we can look right through the metal case

on the CDI unit. My next task is to depot the dead ones that are on their way to

me and compare components.

https://picasaweb.google.com/82indypc/CDIProject

The objective is to make units available that are hard to get and expensive, so

we call all have a couple spares to test out when our bikes start acting up, and

replace them when they die.

It kills me to see bikes parted out on ebay just because the CDI died.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I will become more active in this

group once I get my TW out of storage and on the road and finish my BW200 restoration

project.

Cheers

Tim
    Cheers

tjs

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm. WOW!

Check out a couple of my old threads on here, I guess
    ITCB

Remains to be seen if he's as operose as Operose..... iz.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For his sake, let's hope not. My bike can't move under its own power (still? again? i don't even know anymore)

plus it is off of the ttr cdi and onto a "proper" setup from a 98 tw200 because i was lazy and let it all get chewed up inside the motor
    ITCB

Quote Originally Posted by operose View Post
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm. WOW!

Check out a couple of my old threads on here, I guess

OK I am new to this site and dont know my way around yet. I take it there have been

discussion by your before on the TW CDI topic. If there is some question as to

my ID or intent you can check out my history on the BW site, there I am pungoclassic.
    Cheers

tjs

Quote Originally Posted by 82indypc View Post
    .....Myself and another engineer are working on reverse engineering CDI units for our BW200 and BW350

bikes....

Isn't there an App for that?

Good Luck with your project. I know a lot of people need help with CDI issues. I'm sure you have a good market for a replacement CDI.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

No need to question your intent, we are all friends here. Besides, "I pity da fool" that thinks having busted CDI units shipped to him is a good or profitable scam

Just some guy on the internet that had cdi problems that one time.

You should really dig up the thread(s)
    ITCB

Sure, BW. I have a partially de-potted CDI from a TW200, Jan '89, unless it is not original. Send an appropriate SASE envelope to:

DN

When you succeed, add a "Check Engine Light" dedicated to ignition.

My best, GB

There's not a lot of active components in that! I was originally an EEE many years ago. I honestly don't think there's think that much difference between the AC CDI systems of older bikes - they have a charging coil and a firing coil. If you match the wires up correctly for the coils I suspect they will work on your BW200.

Take a look at this. The best schematic (simplest) I've seen, I reckon that the Bosh coil with built in CDI would be an easy fix for your problems.

Once again - there's only two coils - the charging voltages are not overly critical and there are only 4 wires to sort out.

I'm an old schooler who rewired a PE175 CDI system back in the 80's in a country we couldn't get parts so I'm not talking out my ass.

Do you have a fluke scope meter?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links