Best year
Close

Thread: Best year

What was the best year for the Tw or which year had the most mechanical changes?

There is no "best" year.

The 87's are prone to CDI failure and for that reason ONLY they could be said to be the "worst" year. Other than the electrical system they're mechanically identical to an '88-'00 TW.

In '01 they got a disc front end, higher stator output and a CV carb. Quality went to heck (from an already low standard), and they lost their kickstarter. Other than that they're also essentially mechanically identical to an '87.

If you're mechanically inclined and do your own work, go old.

Not so mechanical or just in love with that "new bike smell" go new, and maintain it meticulously.

No clear winner among them.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the quick post, thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Had 2 TW's in the past, regret selling both. Looking for a 2006/2007 now but has to be a Calif. bike. thanks again

There is no "best" year.

The 87's are prone to CDI failure and for that reason ONLY they could be said to be the "worst" year. Other than the electrical system they're mechanically identical to an '88-'00 TW.

In '01 they got a disc front end, higher stator output and a CV carb. Quality went to heck (from an already low standard), and they lost their kickstarter. Other than that they're essentially mechanically identical to an '87.

If you're mechanically inclined and do your own work, go old.

Not so mechanical or just in love with that "new bike smell" go new, and maintain it meticulously.

No clear winner among them.

[/quote]

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Some of the 06 bikes develop base gasket oil leaks.... OK. Most of them do.. If you have it fixed try and order the 2010 gasket or newer.. Better design... We have two 06 models,,, We are crazy about them. OMM.

Another misconception regarding Cali bikes You aren't "stuck" or "settling" when you buy a Cali TW:

The ONLY difference in a CALI TW (keyword "TW") is the tank venting. It has ZERO moving parts, causes no service problems and has NO effect on performance. End of song.

Cali jetting is typically one step RICHER than the other 49. So don't go dinking with jetting til you know you need it.

The internet is loaded with "De-Californication" threads. Pure crap. Bikes like the TW are still in the lawnmower class in terms of emission regulations. If anything Cali TW's run BETTER than 49-state bikes right out of the box.

In fact I can name at least 3 reasons why the Cali TW system is actually superior, but the jerkweeds in Sac might overhear and notice that they haven't ruined our joy. They'd then move to correct that.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I think 1990 is the best year!
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Sponosred Links