To ethanol or NOT to ethanol...?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Greetings,

First time poster and excited new TW owner... well almost! I take delivery Monday on a 2012. I am SUPER excited to get back 'into' riding. I am 44 years old and have been 'out of it' for awhile. The TW200 will be a great way to 'break-in' my wife to riding.

As far as ethanol goes. Should I or should I not use ethanol in my brand new bike? I work at a marina and we have R90 gas, of which is ethanol free and 90-octane. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

This looks like awesome forum and I look forward to swapping stories with my fellow TW'ers

Ride safe,

Matt Ward

Be safe & Keep on TW 'ing,

Matt Ward

- 2012 Yamaha TW200 -

Go for the non-ethanol version if it's available to you.

Ethanol blows.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by matTWard View Post
    Greetings,

As far as ethanol goes. Should I or should I not use ethanol in my brand new bike? I work at a marina and we have R90 gas, of which is ethanol free and 90-octane. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Ride safe,

Matt Ward

Welcome!

Lots of technical advice as well as plenty of opinion here on ethanol, just search.

Bottom line: If you can get real gas, do so. If you have to use E10 occasionally no problem, just don't leave it in your tank over the winter or use an additive like StarTron. There is a small but definite performance and mileage loss in our underpowered bikes with E10, which evens out the price difference.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Stupid question, but it used to be easy to tell if a pump was ethanol. Now there is so much fine print I can't tell any more. Are they still required to say? Does anybody specifically know what Speedway has? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Speedway in my neck of the woods. Trying to avoid ethatnol at all costs for my chainsaws.

Dan

I have used non-ethanol since the day I bought my nike until I ran out of gas near a gas station that only had E-10. Now I can honestly say, it DOES make a difference. If you have to then you have to but I go out of my way to get ethanol-free gas for my TW.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by matTWard View Post
    Greetings,

As far as ethanol goes. Should I or should I not use ethanol in my brand new bike?

Matt Ward

Become part of the no ethanol backlash!!

Every time you talk to any gas station attendant (or better yet, the manager) tell him that you would pay 10 cents more a gallon for real gas!

Tell him that your moto, lawn mower, chain saw, boat, weed whacker, etc. doesn't run worth sh** on ethanol and you just spent $500 having all their fuel systems cleaned and if he doesn't at least try to offer non-ethanol you won't be coming back no matter how low his prices are.!!!!!!

In my neck of the woods, station owners are starting to get the message and I see new signs adverising "NO ETHANOL!" "REAL GAS!" "OUR GAS HAS NO ETHANOL!"

Every time I see one I buy gas there and go in and congratulate the owner and tell him how happy I am that I can get non-ethanol gas for all of the above.

It could become a movement....well, actually it already is in some parts.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Do not try to run boat gas as the highway taxes have not been collected and you will likely eventually get caught. Do not run ethanol, either. Find a station with real gas or buy 91 octane E10 and remove the ethanol to yield a ~88 octane E0. Even if you lose 10% of your fuel by volume, you'll gain in the long run because your fuel efficiency will improve by 15-20%.

Expect 5-7mph difference in top speed between E10 and E0.

Some states require pumps to be labeled, some do not, and some only sometimes. Google is your friend.

Fuel stabilizers don't really work with ethanol. Best they can do is double storage life from 4-6 weeks to 8-12 weeks. Gasoline, on the other hand, can be stored for years with stabilizer.

Real (no ethanol) gas is so much better. I'm overwintering small engines with SEF racing fuel w/treatment. I would like to have the option up in this neck of the woods. OM

Welcome to the forum BTW!
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

Post deleted due to Qwerty
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench-puller View Post
    Working in a marina you must have access to Evinrude products? They sell a product that goes by the label of "2+4" and it is designed for use in all 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines.

Amazon is selling it for some marina company for $26 USD with another $7 for shipping for 32 oz. What volume of gasoline would 32 oz treat?

Dan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links