Antigravity jump starter vs kickstarter
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Antigravity jump starter vs kickstarter

Antigravity jump starter vs kickstarter

I've been eyeing Antigravity's XP3 jump starter for some time. I like it cause it'll jump anything from my tw to a 5.7 v8 and my Ktm if needed. It's also so small it'll fit in your pocket or backpack. Seems like a great item to carry with you if you don't have a kickstarter. It's also a lot cheaper than installing a kickstart at $80 shipped. I know it'll jumpstart a car over and over, that's not in question, but I'm wondering what you guys think of this vs a kickstart? Good idea or?

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...o-starts/xp-3/
    Ken likes this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

My son got me one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was very impressed with its vehicle starting capabilities and also for its ability to hold a charge for a long period of time without needing recharging. Like you intend to do, I would just put it in my jacket pocket in case someone needed a jump.

Unfortunately, the last time we tried to use it, it started heating up and the case swelled up and showed us its innards. Now it is completely dead. I understand that this is not uncommon.

It worked great until it stopped working .

YMMV

Before I got my kick starters on my bikes I got one of these. It is 12,000mah 400amp starting and starts cars and the TW no problem. Plus you can charge your phone or gps. And it has a light. The claims on some of these chinese lithium batteries are sometimes exaggerated but they do work well when they are working. Walmart has a great price on them.

If you can't find a kickstarter then these are great. I would make two leads of 10ga wire and an EC5 conector on one end and ring connectors to go to the battery on the other end to plug in directly like a battery tender lead. Then you could jump the bike with out taking the seat off. The battery clamps plug into the unit with an ec5 connection and there is some safety stuff between the battery and the battery clamps. For safety just cut off the battery clamps after the safety devise and put another ec5 connector on the wires where the clamps were to plug into the ec5 lead from the bike. A clean easy safe jump starter. The ec5 conector is a high amp conector. 10 ga wire is rated to carry the starting loads. The plugs are polarized so you just have to make sure the wires all match when you solder them up. Red to red+ and black - to black. If you cut the battery cable clamps off cut it close to the safety devise put ec5 connectors on that so you could still use the clamps to start cars.

I was going to do this on my bikes but I have kickers now. You probably need pics of this and I may mock it up for someone who wants to do this as I have the stuff to make these leads. The next step would be to put ec5 conectors on your battery charger to match.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart...arger/46528407

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Pair-EC...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-20-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    My son got me one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was very impressed with its vehicle starting capabilities and also for its ability to hold a charge for a long period of time without needing recharging. Like you intend to do, I would just put it in my jacket pocket in case someone needed a jump.

Unfortunately, the last time we tried to use it, it started heating up and the case swelled up and showed us its innards. Now it is completely dead. I understand that this is not uncommon.

It worked great until it stopped working .

YMMV
    They will send you a new one at no charge. Contact them and be able to send a picture. I carry mine in the car and have used it many times without problems. If you cant push start the TW because of mud or whatever, lay it on it's left side in 3rd gear and start it that way rolling the rear tire with your right hand.
    Ken, cowboyjeff, Rider21 and 2 others like this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    They will send you a new one at no charge. Contact them and be able to send a picture. I carry mine in the car and have used it many times without problems. If you cant push start the TW because of mud or whatever, lay it on it's left side in 3rd gear and start it that way rolling the rear tire with your right hand.
    I already checked about this and they only warranty these units for one year.

Have you actually been able to start a TW by spinning the rear wheel by hand?
    Ken likes this.

Shag can you demo that starting procedure?
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Having external hook-ups makes it more convenient to use.
    Ken, TopPredator, Rider21 and 2 others like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

An Antigravity Jump Starter will not get the engine running when a kickstarter will when you have any of the following problems:
    1) Bad starter motor
    2) Bad starter switch
    3) Bad strarter clutch
    4) Bad wiring
    5) Bad fuse (?)
    6) Internal short in main battery

The back-up battery works well for only a discharged main battery, will not provide a broad spectrum solution like a kick starter will.
    However an Antigravity unit will shine at those times when using a kickstarter is physically not possible due to injury or position of bike. For example Friday I stalled my bike in a steep narrow deep cut near top of hill climb section. Bike and I were both a little overheated and the e-button wasn’t working for me. Unfortunately kicking would not work because I needed to cover both brakes to prevent sliding backwards, and the slot was so narrow my boot would hit the sidewalls. Once we both cooled down a bit the starter motor got the engine spinning again but shifting into first required a fit of finesse since left foot was busy keeping me and bike upright and not sliding backwards. I needed a third leg or repair to safety interlocks so bike could start in gear. Both my bikes will not readily start in gear.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Deapseadan Both my Tw's have Kick Starters on them, But I steal want to get one of those XP-3's some day, I think they would be so handy for all kinds of different things.

All my vehicles (except the motorcycles) have one now.
    Wife and I went on a trip. Came back and the batt was dead. Went to the hotel office to see if they had jumper cables. Yes they said..hooray!
    The maintenance guy came to our car, which was parked nose in up against the fence...no problem I said..I'll just roll it back so we can reach the batt. Well...I found out that her car which has an electric parking brake will not release without said electricity....and you can't shift it into N either without juice! Lovely...so the maintenance guy drove me to the parts store to buy one of these. As soon as I connected it I saw the problem..dome light was left on. Left in connected for a bit as it only had 20% life in it off the shelf. But it did start her car after a bit.

Maybe one for the TW would be good too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links