How do you haul your TW?
Close

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: How do you haul your TW?

Just curious, what kind of vehicle do you use to haul your TW or other toys?

I would post mine, but it's a Mazda Sedan. My next vehicle will no doubt be a truck...so I can haul my TW and all future toys!

Usually my 02 Suzuki Grand Vitara. This was our trip to Moab last year.

Bryan Bagwell

1995 Yamaha TW200

1983 Toyota PU

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Big Trailer

Small Trailer

Horse Trailer

Hitch Carrier on truck

Hitch Carrier on Jeep (Liberty)

PlacerLode, badcat and STW_TW200 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral, I really appreciate your photo's of how you haul your Tdub. I've been wrestling with how to accomplish that objective with the following combination. Driving a 2010 Winnebago Vista motorhome while towing, with four tires on the ground, a 2010 Honda CRV. The motorhome frame will not allow me to hang the TW on the back of the rig between the rig and car. The weight of the TW (275 lbs) is too large for the back of the CRV. I am considering replacing the CRV with a samll towable truck and putting the TW in the bed of the truck. Looking at your photos, it looks like the carrier on the back of the Ford truck is supported by three bars and is different than what is on the back of the Liberty Jeep. What model Ford truck do you use? Is that a custom carrier on the back of the truck; if not what type? What type of carrier is on the back of the Jeep? How do they ride, and would you recommend using that approach while towing the truck/jeep + TW behind a Motorhome? Thanks. This is the major obstacle for me to address and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I usually go between Maine and Florida so a double tow behind the motorhome is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Looking at your photos, it looks like the carrier on the back of the Ford truck is supported by three bars and is different than what is on the back of the Liberty Jeep. What model Ford truck do you use? Is that a custom carrier on the back of the truck; if not what type? What type of carrier is on the back of the Jeep? How do they ride, and would you recommend using that approach while towing the truck/jeep + TW behind a Motorhome? Thanks. This is the major obstacle for me to address and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Dwight,

I'm able to use the same hitch carrier on the two different vehicles with slight modification.

Truck is an F250, and easily carry's the TW on the hitch carrier. I can't even tell it's back there. This is a homemade carrier and was initially built for the truck. The two "outrigger" supports slide into a slot on each side of the hitch, which is the same size as the receiver. I then insert the rail portion into the normal hitch receiver. Then bolt the rail to the outrigger's. Pretty darn solid and it ain't going anywhere. Pops-in-law came up with the outrigger support idea.

Then I had the bright idea to test this same carrier on our jeep to see if it would work. The outrigger's can't be used here because the jeep hitch stuff is under the body of the jeep. So, I tried the carrier on the jeep without the outrigger's. Works just fine without the outrigger's. Very solid. I can feel the weight of the TW on the back of the jeep, but less than if I were hauling a trailer. There is a slight wobble if you hit a pothole or large bump, but worried me not. By wobble I mean the slack in the receiver hitch, not the whole jeep wobbling. I think there are devices to help with the wobble on these hitch carriers, but I'm not concerned and won't do anything more to this. I now know and will use my hitch carrier on both vehicles. A friend of mine uses a hitch carrier on his smaller Ford Ranger size truck without any problems too.

I do see your motorhome dilemma. I'm sure a motorcycle on hitch carrier behind motorhome has been done before, but I'm not aware of one. Weight wouldn't be an issue, but I'd want to know if the towed vehicle with a TW on a hitch carrier would sway while being towed by the motorhome. If you know somebody close to where you live, maybe you could test this. I have seen motorcycles in the bed of trucks being pulled behind a motorhome, so I will assume this works. Sorry, can't be much more help on this one. Hope you find something that works, hate to see the TW left behind.

Take Care.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks Admiral, I was thinking of the Ford Ranger as a possible replacement for the CRV. I have a Ford Sports Trac, but it can't be towed with 4 wheels on the road. Nice to know that the Ranger can handle a TW either in the bed or with a carrier. I also see alot of Jeeps being towed behind motorhomes. The Blue Ox tow bar behind the motorhome really eliminates sway with 4 tires of a car or truck on the road. Blue ox makes a bike carrier for motorhomes that uses the same outrigger idea you use. It is expensive and designed for much heavyer bikes, and requires a solid coach frame all the way to rear of the motorhome which the my Vista does not have. They are mostly used on bigger diesel pusher motorhomes and carry 600 pound plus bikes. I really like my Tdub and was sad to have to leave her in FL. I even thought about trying to mount it on the front of the motorhome. Solution TBD. Thanks again.

"A friend of mine uses a hitch carrier on his smaller Ford Ranger size truck without any problems too."

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 and was wondering how the truck would handle with the TW on a hitch carrier. Did your friend make any changes to the Rangers suspension? Does he notice any changes in the handling characteristics of the truck at all? Is his steel or aluminium?

I was thinking of building one out of aluminium to keep the weight down.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

1 or 2 in a minivan is do-able.

Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

mine can fit in the back of my LJ (TJ unlimited) when the tailgate is down...but it's a pain to get it up that high...for long trips I also have a small 7' trailer:

Here is a picture of my TW and a 98 Ford range (light duty). The rack would scrape when pulling into gas stations and the headlights pointed at the tree tops. Heavy duty shocks kept it from bouncing. Hope your Ranger will come with heavy duty springs, or you will need to carry the bike in the bed. I ended up buying a trailer. Gerry

PlacerLode and SanDue like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links