• 3 Post By stagewex
  • 2 Post By Deepseadan
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 9 Post By GCFishguy
  • 5 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By SportsterDoc

Thread: Buying a new 2016 TW200

Buying a new 2016 TW200

Hi, first post. I'm buying a 2016 TW200. There are no used ones in my area. It will be my first Dual Sport. I plan to do mainly off road/commute. First question is I weigh 250 pounds. Is the bike to small for me? If so would a XT250 be better? And secondly is there anything I should know before buying a TW200?
    Ken likes this.

You won't be setting any speed-records on a TW at your or any other weight so that shouldn't bother you if you've done your homework.

I have ridden an XT250 but never owned one. It's a great bike and I had a time deciding between the 2 myself. A different, stiffer ride probably more attuned to off-road than a TW IMO. It physically felt smaller than the TW to me at 230lbs.

Anything to know?
    They are great fun.
    Last edited by stagewex; 05-24-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    socalnative, Ken and chuckgarrett like this.

If you're looking to commute the xt250 would be better on the street. For everything else the tw 200 is better with a couple simple mods.

Now if you are looking for a dual sport that can do everything and feels like a feather compared to both the xt250 and tw200 go for a ktm 350 exc or a 500 exc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    socalnative and Ken like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had both TW200 and XT225. If my ride was to be mostly road I took the XT and if mostly trails I took the TW. Both bikes do fine in either condition but the TW is a better off road bike and the XT is a better on road bike. I assigned the difference to the fat tires. XT rolls smoother and easier on pavement with thinner tires and lighter weight while the TW is way more sure footed on the trails but a little heavier.

GaryL
    Ken likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by Killac333 View Post
    First question is I weigh 250 pounds. Is the bike to small for me? And secondly is there anything I should know before buying a TW200?
    Are you 17, 6'3", 250 pounds..? Or 45, 5'9", 250 pounds? Former, likely too small. Latter, just perfect. hehe
    Like someone said, if you see yourself jumping tabletops and flying across whoops with the back wheel just skimming the tops, this ain't the bike for you.
    Myself, I'm at the point where I want to go along at a leisurely pace, see stuff, have the freedom to cruise along the pavement at 50-55, but then take that "hmm, I wonder where that goes?" little dirt path...this would be a good choice.

I just got mine in the fall, and it was the first motorcycle I've been on, ever. It took me until 4 days ago to finally drop it. I've had a lot of close calls where it was leaning over and nearly touching the ground but it's light enough to can control it when gravity and physics wins over your riding abilities. And when I say I dropped it, I was climbing an obstacle, got the front wheel on top, stalled it, and was stopped but the ground was too far away to reach, so over I flopped. Considering I put 1500 noob kilometers on it and this was the first time it spit me off, I'd say it's an extremely easy to ride yet very versatile and capable bike.

I admit to spending a bit of the pavement time wishing I was riding more of a bike, but really....The highest speed limit we have on any non-highway roads around here is 80 km/h (49.7mph) and the TW does it no problem. It's a little buzzy, but it is what it is. For me, it's to be a 2-wheeled ATV that I can also ride on the road. I'd sooner put up with a little buzzing the small amount I'm doing 50 on the pave than have something that purred along on the pave but was miserable to ride in the back roads and trails.

I'm 227 and with a tail box full of tools and extra fuel and crap, plus a leather duffel with my fishing gear and water for the day, I bottomed out the front suspension never, and the rear suspension one time in 260 kms of riding on Monday, and the riding was everything from twisty paved roads to rocky 1-lane tracks blasted right out of the bedrock to dirt trails with mudholes that had me paddling along with both feet. But again, I am riding to enjoy the day and see the sights. If I bottom out the suspension, it's likely because I'm driving quicker than I should and didn't see that big rock in time to slow down or dip around it.

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post
    Are you 17, 6'3", 250 pounds..? Or 45, 5'9", 250 pounds? Former, likely too small. Latter, just perfect. hehe
    Like someone said, if you see yourself jumping tabletops and flying across whoops with the back wheel just skimming the tops, this ain't the bike for you.
    Myself, I'm at the point where I want to go along at a leisurely pace, see stuff, have the freedom to cruise along the pavement at 50-55, but then take that "hmm, I wonder where that goes?" little dirt path...this would be a good choice.

I just got mine in the fall, and it was the first motorcycle I've been on, ever. It took me until 4 days ago to finally drop it. I've had a lot of close calls where it was leaning over and nearly touching the ground but it's light enough to can control it when gravity and physics wins over your riding abilities. And when I say I dropped it, I was climbing an obstacle, got the front wheel on top, stalled it, and was stopped but the ground was too far away to reach, so over I flopped. Considering I put 1500 noob kilometers on it and this was the first time it spit me off, I'd say it's an extremely easy to ride yet very versatile and capable bike.

I admit to spending a bit of the pavement time wishing I was riding more of a bike, but really....The highest speed limit we have on any non-highway roads around here is 80 km/h (49.7mph) and the TW does it no problem. It's a little buzzy, but it is what it is. For me, it's to be a 2-wheeled ATV that I can also ride on the road. I'd sooner put up with a little buzzing the small amount I'm doing 50 on the pave than have something that purred along on the pave but was miserable to ride in the back roads and trails.

I'm 227 and with a tail box full of tools and extra fuel and crap, plus a leather duffel with my fishing gear and water for the day, I bottomed out the front suspension never, and the rear suspension one time in 260 kms of riding on Monday, and the riding was everything from twisty paved roads to rocky 1-lane tracks blasted right out of the bedrock to dirt trails with mudholes that had me paddling along with both feet. But again, I am riding to enjoy the day and see the sights. If I bottom out the suspension, it's likely because I'm driving quicker than I should and didn't see that big rock in time to slow down or dip around it.
    Perfect description Fish guy!

GaryL
    jtstdub, Ken, littletommy and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I weighed 193# when I bought it (175# now), but could depend upon it to do 55 MPH up a 6% + grade at 7,000 feet elevation.
    I've seen 77 MPH indicated on Nevada highway 95 on slight downgrade.
    The 1-2 shift is required very quickly and hitting third before crossing an intersection is likely.
    No issue cruising at 60-65 MPH.
    However the stock seat is a major limiting factor for long distance.
    I have done 160 miles in one day, but the last third was not comfortable.

Unless you are at high altitude, the mixture screw will need to be turned out to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns from gentle seat for it to idle properly, not balk and not stall. Other than that, break it in and enjoy.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Take Gary’s advice – the TW and the XT are two completely different bikes, so you need to know what you will use (either) for

The XT is skinny and fast – the TW is fat and slow – but I’ll guarantee you one thing …..

If you get both of them, the XT will be the first one you sell

The TW is built for exploring – the XT is built for “just passing through”

Welcome to the board - (and if you modify your profile to indicate your location, it will help us to help you) ………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Do you have another vehicle to commute in? How far and on what kind of roads will you commute on?

Try to be as specific and honest as you can with how you are going to use it. If it's going to be 50-50 use and ridden on highways where the traffic is moving 50+ mph I'd say the XT or bigger motorcycle.

Good advice above about their use.

There are no issues with the TW for it's intended use. And it might work stock for you. I didn't like the seat and wanted higher controls. Both were easy to change or fix.

The XT has an even narrower seat, but is faster, more suspension and larger fuel tank.
    However, the XT is EFI, which means not all of the fuel in the tank is usable.

The TW will stay with most traffic around the city and the tires are great for sandy washes and rocky roads.
    Although the stock front tire is terrible for highway rain grooves.

Below photos are when the TW was 3 weeks old, still during break-in.
    Solo ride, carrying extra fuel (TruFuel) and water in the tail bag.

1-From Corn Creek Springs.JPG
    2-Mormon Well Road.JPG
    6-No Outlet was circumvented.JPG
    9-Leaving Gass Peak for Las Vegas.JPG
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 06-06-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    admiral and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2