The frustration with commuting and near misses
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    So, I've been commuting to work all four seasons via two wheels for a year now (bike, scooter, or motorcycle).

I only wish I had had a camera on me the whole time...

Motorcycle is currently my primary transportation.

I've had the TDub since the last week of Feb and have put almost a thousand miles on her so far.

Started video blogging a few weeks back for the heck of it, but also to have a record if anything happened, cause I felt like I was dealing with an increased amount of stupidity from my fellow drivers and pedestrians.

Turns out, being on a bigger bike (relative to a Yamaha Zuma, or actual bicycle), seems to get me in more trouble.

I drive very defensively, but I seem to be dang near invisible on the T Dub.

Here is a video of this week's idiocy... the first three clips are from my commute to work just tonight, plus two more from this week.

The move that the last guy pulls (total disregard) has happened several times to me already on the T Dub.

Please excuse my cussing problem (i.e. NSFW), I'm seeking medical help for that.

(DANG. I just realized I'm likely in violation of forum rules due to my pathological cussing in the vid... feel free to delete if necessary... sorry bout that. Its a reaction I have to stupidity I seem to have no control over. As a remedy, rather than embed, I'll just include a link. You decide if you want to check it out....)

http://youtu.be/2XJoG1o1YU4

I ride in Singapore and Indonesia. We have thousands of riders on the road - Singapore had 300 odd motorbike fatalities last year (inc pillions). I'd consider that low in a country of 6 million. One thing that I notice compared to Australia is that as a car driver - in a country with a lot of bikes - you are much more conscious of bikes being all around. In Australia being t-boned in an intersection or swiped by someone on a freeway is quite common - mainly cause drivers have not registered a bike on the road.

I would consider adding some more lights,,

I put these LED on my wife's TW - they are actually quite bright and slightly purple - ( just off white )

in my opinion having light coming from as high as u can get and a few spaced as far apart will make you waaaaaay more noticable...

on the rear I have added some red LED strips they go all around the rear of the box.... ( cable tied on too!

> these are super cheap and dont draw much power..

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=eaa8a512.jpg
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

[img][/img]
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

I def see LEDs in my future... like A LOT of LEDs...

And I'm kind of in the same mindset at tw200sgp, I just think no one here even thinks about bikes, let alone sees them.

I mean, in all of the 5 instances in the video, I'm pretty much the ONLY OTHER THING ON THE ROAD!

Thats just how distracted they are...

The really insulting part is how un-apologetic people are about putting bikers in danger around here.

Generally speaking, if someone almost hits me in my truck, I would at least get a courtesy wave.

So far, around here, if someone almost hits me on my TW, they not only ignore me, but don't even swerve/brake/react to the situation.

EDIT: Heading to Cincinnati this afternoon for the weekend (via car, my band is playing a few shows). Gonna take note at how Cinci drivers behave vs Cbus. Cinci seems to have it together a bit more that Columbus...

for night riding, try a bright headlamp on your helmet that points wear you look. with a glance you can "spotlight" a person, without blinding them, to give them a heads up to your presence.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You sound just like me

But dude... probably need to calm down a little bit, especially for the group of people that were just milling around in the middle of the road or whatever. That stuff happens, people are dumb, etc. but there is not a lot you can do about it.

Lane-changer and crosswalk-er certainly have a blatant disregard for your (and their) safety though.

Generally the only time i get as worked up while riding as you seem to in that video, is when someone in a car or truck does something completely insane like try to turn left across two lanes right in front of me without signaling.

It certainly is dangerous out there though. Too bad you are in such a high population area, it is a lot better out in the country with regards to pedestrians and cars, but you have to really watch out for deer (and turkeys... almost took one right in the helmet at 40mph when it decided to leave the flock and fly across the road in front of me)

Sorry for the rambling. I need a camera like that, what are you using?
    ITCB

The key to surviving riding with cars is to treat everyone of them as homicidal maniacs out to kill you. I'd advise anything to be more noticeable. I find I have a much easier time on my full dress BMW than when I'm on my beloved TW. The Beemer being much more noticeable

1) Lights, esp like a "night rider" headlight on your helmet-Blind the cretins and get safe whilst they stop.

I would think the stick on flashing LED lights used on bicycles would work on your helmet

2) Really loud horn, the stock one is silly

3) Carry a pocket of throwing rocks for educating the real idiots as to the import of paying attention, ball bearings are better but also more traceable. Thrown hard enough you can crack a windshield, as a last resort and be sure and scoot away quick. Call it "self defense" or "saving the next guys life" I at least feel better after chucking a rock at someone whose just tried to kill me

Here in Commiefornia, there's just times where I don't venture out on the freeway to play, it pays to pick your battles too.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

I agree with operose. That video could have been me yelling in my truck!

When I'm on the tdub I'm a whole different driver. I heard to pretend your invisible back when I started driving the tdub and that is how I drive. I almost make it a game and expect the cars to try and kill me, I win when I don't die.

I live in a much less populated area and its much better here. That being said there are idiots everywhere, I guess we deal with them or stay home.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

As a new motorcycle rider, and now paying more attention to each driver I am on the road with;

People suck at driving

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links