Good morning
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good morning

Wake up this morning to go watch a documentary about sushi. Jiro dreams of Sushi. I just went so I could watch something in Japanese. I got to tell you it was poor translating. Anyways drive past my covered parking place where I lock my bike up and the cover is missing. Someone tried to steal my bike last night. They totally ripped the cover off the bike cause the elastic hooks were dangling on the bike still and the ratcheting tie down is completely off. Luckly I have the biggest chain you can get from Home Depot on it with a huge lock. They saw that and gave up. I go get another bike cover and now a cable. So there is a cable and chain on it. I tell my apartment complex and ask to move my covered parking space closer and not on the other side of the complex where its dark and thieves lurk. I talk to them and they say we will ask our security company to make more patrols. I call the police and they were like yeah fill out the online form. They didn't give a crap and no wonder crime is soo rampant here. When I lived in Japan the police station that was in charge of my area came to my house on foot. He introduced himself and asked my information so he could build a data base to better respond in case of a emergency. He did this to every house and apartment in the area. good morning to you too.

Too bad about the cover, but good thing you had it chained up! Saved you the trouble of tons of paperwork, and more than likely, spending the time getting another motorcycle.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sorry to hear that. I hate thieves with a passion! Glad to hear it was only your cover.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can sympathize--

When our store was robbed (about 3K worth of merchandise), the officers who showed up couldn't have cared less. We found the people who stole the stuff when they tried to sell it on ebay, and used an identifiable email address; the cops ignored the information we gave them. Only one officer treated us decently, and he was later forced into early retirement. After a few more thefts, we got rid of the store.

Geeze.......Sounds like you live in San Jose!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quality of law enforcement varies. But just to play devil's advocate, they don't exactly launch full scale APB's with helicopters and S.W.A.T. teams for a vandalized bike cover, which is essentially the only punishable crime which was committed here.

You dodged the bullet by taking area-appropriate proactive measures with the chains and locks.

Commend yourself rather than condemning the cops for prioritizing the crime with the same area-appropriateness.

Just sayin'.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Is there a good way to keep your bike secure in a public area, other than chaining it to something? I only have street parking, but live in a pretty dense place. I keep the handlebars locked, at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Is there a good way to keep your bike secure in a public area, other than chaining it to something? I only have street parking, but live in a pretty dense place. I keep the handlebars locked, at all times.
    Better get a cable or chain and at least run it through the back tire and frame. Handlebar lock can easily be broken. The police here are pathetic. No excuses. Yes it was just a cover,but the other crimes they are too lazy to do anything about is inexcusable. So the poor vigilance results in more crime.

The best way to deter thieves is to make your stuff more difficult to steal than someone else's. You could also see some success making stealing your stuff more likely to get a thief caught. Note that a professional will get whatever he or she wants every time. It is the dopeheads and joyriders you can discourage.

Lock the forks, turn off the gas, and turn the kill switch off. Many motorcycles are recovered 2 blocks from the site of the theft because the thief paniced when the engine quit. A second kill switch, hidden away out of sight, will go a long way to preventing joyriders.

Chain the frame of your bike to something solid. Park close and use a chain or cable barely long enough to secure the bike. If the cahin or cable sags to the ground it is much easier to cut with bolt cutters.

Lock the wheels to the frame, using separate short chains or cables and separate locks, preferably of different brands. Put a padlock through a hole in the wheel sprocket. Many amatuers know how to defeat one brand, but are stymied by another. The prospect of three or more locks and chains is more than most druggies can think about and they go elsewhere.

For the ultimate anti-theft enjoyment, install a silent paging alarm. Such alarms do not set of a horn or siren. Instead, they make a key fob in your pocket beep. It is so much fun actually catching the perp and subjecting him or her to psychological abuse. One of my favorites is to casually stroll by and at the last second *accidently* spill a can of paint on the perp. Another favorite is to sneak up on the perp and rack a 12-gauge pump. No need of shooting anyone. I've had great fun over the years lighting a short string of firecrackers, turning left and yelling, "Yo, Marco, someone's messing with your bike!" Then turn to the right and yell. "Shoot him!" BANG BANG BANG BANG I've also loaded my throwdown with blanks, confronted a perp face to face, and "shot" him. Great youtube stuff. The looks on perps' faces are priceless.

pulling a gun on someone is a great way to get dead!

best to be using real bullets if you are gonna go that far
    ITCB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links