Fishing Rig
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Fishing Rig

Fishing Rig

Hi all,

Purchased a 2014 with 42 miles on it (yes that's not a botch) that I stumbled across while looking for a bw350 and have been lurking here over the last 4 or so months looking at ideas for my TW. Been a great source of information, some super cool bikes out there. Thanks to everyone for sharing what they do...it's really a huge help.

As far as the bike. Got everything freshened up post purchase and have been riding it for a few months and have just recently started to put some accessories on it (cyclerack, krator, ricochet, jimbo). This week I put together my optional "fishing" package that I can easily put on or take off the bike. I have been using the bike to get to some out of reach spots on the river (had just slung a tube across the rack prior) and will use it this summer to surf fish at the beach.

Definitely don't have the fishing rig completely tuned in but it is a good start. Enough room for fresh and saltwater tackle. Plenty of dry storage as well as open storage. Where I ride there is little chance of laying the bike down or worrying about overhead stuff so I'm ok (at least right now) with the open config for the rods. Will need it open for my surf stick and saltwater jigging caster.

Lots more to do but figured I would some pics to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you troll with it ? Maybe with some lower ratio sprockets.
    Fred, Ken, jtomelliott49 and 2 others like this.
    Phelonius

Lol....my first reaction to that comment was. Hmmmmm......???...maybe I could.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good looking set up! I was trying to think of something similar to put on mine. I have a tendency to start building shit before thinking! It dawned on me that my yak-gear kayak fishing crate is exactly what I need. I secure it with straps instead of bungee. Down in South Padre Island the tarpon schools run up and down the beach. Catching them while stationary fishing is next to impossible. I just cruise the miles of beachfront looking for rollers, then I speed up to get ahead of them, jump off the bike, grab a rod and its on. My TW goes well beyond where anything but fat tire 4wd go.

Looking good - welcome to the cruise .....
    redneck-limo and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Good one phelonious. Welcome cool set up.
    redneck-limo likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
    Good looking set up! I was trying to think of something similar to put on mine. I have a tendency to start building shit before thinking! It dawned on me that my yak-gear kayak fishing crate is exactly what I need. I secure it with straps instead of bungee. Down in South Padre Island the tarpon schools run up and down the beach. Catching them while stationary fishing is next to impossible. I just cruise the miles of beachfront looking for rollers, then I speed up to get ahead of them, jump off the bike, grab a rod and its on. My TW goes well beyond where anything but fat tire 4wd go.
    Thanks JasonTX. I started with a yak-gear 6 gallon crate, thought it might be too flimsy so ditched it. Liked the convenience of the Rigid snap-on/snap-off crate and it also had more sturdiness/less flex. The rod holders are yak-gear and should be fine for the biggest stuff I cram in them (largest should be a 9ft HMX w/Abu Chrome Rocket, maybe an occasional 10.5 ft set-up) and the crate will hold a 5 gallon bucket, rigs, peice of wood for kickstand, rags, blah, blah.

Same scenario where I fish and while I haven't seen anyone try it being able to scoot up/down the coast on the bike should be a huge help. Lots of folks on here seem to have issues with the sand but I haven't had any real problems when i've ridden on it...but also haven't had the tw on the sand yet so it could be a shit-show.

Ha! One of my favorite bass lures, Tiger Jitterbug! Looks like a great set up for the wide open beach front rides. I have to have my rods way lower, broke down and facing back where I go up these creeks and rivers.

For riding on the sand I highly recommend you switch the front stock tire, Shinko seems to be the preferred tire with those who ride the sandy spots but there are others and any one of them will be better than the stock Death Wing on it now. I would go with the wider 5.10 size. Also a very good idea to wash the entire bike off as soon as you get away from the salt.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Ha! One of my favorite bass lures, Tiger Jitterbug! Looks like a great set up for the wide open beach front rides. I have to have my rods way lower, broke down and facing back where I go up these creeks and rivers.

For riding on the sand I highly recommend you switch the front stock tire, Shinko seems to be the preferred tire with those who ride the sandy spots but there are others and any one of them will be better than the stock Death Wing on it now. I would go with the wider 5.10 size. Also a very good idea to wash the entire bike off as soon as you get away from the salt.

GaryL
    Thanks GaryL, will check out some tire options. Definitely not a fan of what is on the front right now, in gravel it wants to get squirrelly, we have tons of dirt/gravel roads here. The front end on the bike in general feels a bit thunky (fake word, hope that makes sense). Something I need to start looking into...may need some fork maintenance.

I'm going to also need to figure out how to have a lower mounting system as well. I'm thinking when I get into that I will move into some 4 peice set-ups that I can get in some kind of mounted tube. Something that I can put a spinning reel on that carries about 100yds of 6lb.

Hear you on the washdown and yes, the Tiger Jitterbug is a great all around bass lure for sure...
    GaryL likes this.

Fork maintenance is doubtful except you might want to check the fluid level. Lots of how to threads here on that. TWs are not known for their great suspension for sure.

I use mostly ultra light trout tackle with no greater than 6 pound lines. I found some great rods by Mitchell, NOT Garcia Mitchell or ABU but another Mitchell. 3 and four piece pack rods that are great and break down to around 18 inches. Light tackle in a swift running river with 18-24 inch trout is a thrill not often successful but worth every minute and I love when ever the fish wins.

The Jitterbug is actually my #3 lure for bass. I am strictly Old School and have boxes full of highly sought after original Crazy Crawlers and Heddon Meadow Mice lures along with a good selection of Jitter bugs and Hula Poppers. I see some of my 50 year old lures on Ebay selling for $35-$50 each and I paid around $2 back in the late 50s early 60s. Wish I had all the ones I lost from those damn Pickerel, fresh water Baracudas is what I call them because they could bite the line quick and were a useless fish IMO. Just can't use a steel leader on a top water plug. Wish I could be fishing right now but pouring rain and has been for the past 3 weeks on and off. The rivers are raging here and way too high for fishing.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links