New to me FREE 89
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: New to me FREE 89

New to me FREE 89

New to the forum , I've been looking for a tw200 for my wife and daughter to lump around on when we go camping and for me when hunting season comes around... I have a couple other bikes for trail duty but needed a trail cruiser.

So I got this one for free, out of a backyard where it sat for the last 5 years. The kick starter was missing pieces, gauge was smashed, headlight was smashed, handlebars massively disfigured, seat was rotten so bad the seat base fell apart upon removal, and the carb had a broken float tower. Top it off it long ago lost its keys.

Kick starter was easy , eBay and a few OR parts had it back together. I will keep and eye out for a speedo but for now its not needed. Headlight will be twin 3" square led lights ( one spot and one flood side by side ) ... not for approved but bright and same draw as the stock headlight when combined. Managed to score some TAG fat bars off Amazon for 16 bucks , through on some new grips and fat bar adapters. Seat i cheated and ordered a new oem seat from a '10 ( it was cheaper than used seats on ebay ) . Carb was tricky , I had to stack tack welds up them cut , file, and drill it to match the other side.

Plastics I thought were throw away , but a scotchbright pad , elbow grease, and finish with a heat gun got them looking pretty good.

This forum has lots of fun info and I lurked a lot while fixing this up over the last month... hope you like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TW-Brian, LuvNot, jtstdub and 7 others like this.

Ken
    Looks nice, good job.
    ADVreader likes this.

Nice work on the plastics, they look pretty good! You are making good progress on resurrecting an old survivor. Just give a shout out if you need something, people here are pretty generous if they have extras.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's a good find
    Ken and littletommy like this.

Welcome!!
    Ken and Jon62602 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Nice!
    Building a broken float tower inside a carb is a bit of amazing work. +1, very impressive.
    Fork seals looks like they are up next.
    Speedo is pretty superfluous on a TW, can't really go fast enough to speed anyway, but an odometer to tell you how far you have gone since last gas is nice.
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Nice job and welcome!

Free is great! I just picked up a real nice robin egg 89 all in tact and ready to ride. Too bad you don't care to bring it back fully because most of the parts you need are completely interchangeable throughout the 30 years. I have most of the stuff you would need but unfortunately, I had to pay for it and just can't be charitable and give the stuff away. With no plan to make it road worthy there is little need for stuff like blinkers, speedo cluster, front cowl and headlight with the bracket. You will need the front forks rebuilt and the gaitors to keep the dust out once finished. The tires look old and junk so I would not trust either of them under my wife or daughter. Chain and sprockets could be questionable also and the tank is likely rusted inside. Go check out my thread "Bringing back a sitting bike" in the tech write up section.

Great find and when it comes to you free it is absolutely worth it to toss some $$ into it.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Here's Gary L's thread on that. It is an excellent write up.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...back-life.html
    Ken likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good find and nice job on the bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links