Am I being too uptight?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Am I being too uptight?

Am I being too uptight?

So far, as i get close to home from a ride, I turn the petcock off so i can run the carb bowl empty before I park it for the day.
    Yesterday I forgot to do this until I pulled up in front of my garage. So I was just letting it sit there idling..when I thought shoot! I don't want to overheat it. (It was in the upper 80s) So I got the leafblower out and put some airflow to the motor until it ran the carb out of fuel.
    Ken likes this.

You better use two leaf blowers next time, one on each side so it doesn't cool unevenly. I heard that's worse than an oil filter with only one hole. ?

Yeah, not needed imo. Park/shut off valve/done.
    GaryL, littletommy and Ken like this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Actually the term is ANAL! Turning off the fuel is a good practice but there is little need to run the float bowl dry after every ride. Even less if you use the bike fairly regular.

There are two schools of thought on this subject, mostly concerning long term storage. Run the bowl and tank completely dry or keep both completely full. The debate rages on and it is a matter of your own personal belief. I go with the crowd that keeps the tank and bowl wet and filled right to the top but I never, ever use any fuel that contains ethanol in any of my small engines. I just don't know what benefit there could possibly be from running it out of fuel after every ride.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The only motor I run the bowl dry on is my 1988 Johnson 9.9 outboard motor. Still runs like new.
    GaryL, littletommy, Ken and 1 others like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Yes----------
    Purple, Ken and oatmealx like this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    The only motor I run the bowl dry on is my 1988 Johnson 9.9 outboard motor. Still runs like new.
    I never had a Johnson/Evinrude as new as 1988! Have had many, many outboards in this class and they are all like Timex! All have been 2 cycle motors with mix your own fuel and oil and as long as you keep that crappy ethanol out you should be good to go weather you drain the bowl or not. All these small engines that get very little use and spend a lot of time between usages are subject to fuel separation so using just real gas, good 2 cycle oil mixtures and dosing it with Sea Foam is a standard necessity. Chain saws, weed eaters, Ice Augers and all sorts of small engine equipment will benefit from good gas and I think keeping the float bowls wet is just as good if not better than dry. Just my opinion of course and we all no about opinions.

GaryL
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The only time I would ever run the carb dry is when I'm storing it for the winter. I put in an ounce of Stabil, run it up and down the street for three minutes to get the Stabil into the carb, turn off the petcock run it up and down the street for two minutes, then get real close to the barn and ride it in circles it until it stops.

Lately, though, since I can get Non Ethanol fuel easily, I just put in an ounce of Stabil, close the petcock, and call it good. It starts right up in the spring.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 05-29-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I hear you guys loud and clear on the Ethanol in fuel thing. I remember when the state MANDATED ethanol in fuel several pilot associations raised so many concerns that they got an immediate exemption. Then the boat owners, which I think was crucial because non-E fuel became available at gas stations. BUT, they were not allowed to pujmp directly into road vehicles..until I believe it was owners of older vintage type cars discovered (the hard way) that Ethanol is not good for O rings and other rubber things.

I KNOW there is less energy gallon for gallon with E fuel as well. Performance and mileage suffer with it. The state likes that because less fuel economy means more fuel consumed which means more gas tax collected.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Doesn't this say something about the practice of running the bowl dry?
    TopPredator and Ken like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links