Seafoam bottle question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Seafoam bottle question

Seafoam bottle question

Lets start with a small disclaimer so i dont get chastised for using the wrong tool for the job. I DO own fuel bottles, but i also have some known packrat tendencies and was about toss my empty seafoam bottle when the old demon bit me. Should this be saved for an emergency fuel bottle? Wouldnt want to be kicking ones self ten years down the road for not taking valuable space up in the shop with old, dusty, empty bottles. Anyone do this? Would seem like a fine idea to me, but what do i know, a demon is working my fingers like a puppeteer right now.
    Thanks

It seemed like a fine idea to me too, and I am pretty sure that I have a few empties squirreled away just for that purpose !

Hahahaha And just think, my family and guidance counselors all said id never amount to anything!
    Until now, they were correct...but man have i done it now!!

Thanks Brian!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As long as you replaced the cap with something that doesn't leak when it's tipped on its side, use the metal bottle. Recycle... Reuse... Repurpose... whatever you call it, there's no sense wasting a perfectly good metal container.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

only thing is the opening is so small, how would you fill it?
    2005 Tdub

Ive got a few funnels that fit right in. Im gonna put a little in tomorrow and lay it upside down. Interested to see how well that cap does. Dont remember it ever leaking seafoam.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Static testing is fine but I would try to also do a dynamic test with a bottle full of something less noxious should it leak. Say fill with a cheap beer like Hamms you won’t mind dumping out and subject the sea foam bottle to the vibrations and jolts of an Idaho trail ride.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Brilliant Fred!!

Absolutely you can re-purpose and reuse those fuel treatment bottles. I have been reusing Stanadyne Diesel fuel treatment bottles for 4 years now. I refill the 8 ounce bottle with 6 ounces of Diesel Kleen using a small funnel.

I bought a tool tube carrier from ProCycle a couple months ago. It will just barely hold a .5 liter fuel bottle and I've been looking at the MSR bottles on Amazon. I am torn between converting to a bigger tank (Clarke/other) or carrying the fuel elsewhere (small fuel bottles- 1.25 gallon fuel can). It seems each option has some drawbacks. I like steel gas tanks. If I knew a skillful motorcycle tank builder, I would pay to have my tank modified to hold another 2 gallons instead. I will look around someday, likely sometime before the MOAB 2018 trip. It would be nice to not have to carry extra fuel on the tail or adding panniers while going off road.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

I buy Tru Fuel pre mix for my chain saw, weed eater and the ice auger. It is 93 octane, non ethanol gas and pre mixed with either 40:1 or 50:1 oil and in 32 ounce very sturdy steel cans with a great screw cap.

These would fit perfect in a PVC pipe or tool tube that has a 3.5" inside diameter. I like the Sea Foam bottles but if I want to carry extra fuel for a long ride I like the 32 ounce size over the 16. I also have a few of the MSR fuel bottles that hold 33 ounces each. All are good choices for the intended use as all are designed to hold flammable liquids. It all depends upon how much extra fuel you want to carry and the size that fits where ever you plan to carry it.

BTW, Stihl, Husqvarnah and Techumseth all highly recommend the use of the Tru Fuel in their small engines and all three manufacturers HATE Ethanol.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links