• 1 Post By Peterb
  • 5 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By Ride Now
  • 2 Post By Gerry
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By centralwarider

Thread: Help me pick out a trials tire.

Help me pick out a trials tire.

I have a bit of spending money saved up and am adding to the Freedom Machine. I am interested in switching to the Shinko 241, however, I am not super excited about going to a 4" wide tire. I will be replacing the goldenboy in 5.10" and so am reluctant to go to so narrow a tire. Anyhow, here is the criteria. Help me pick a trials tire sold from Rocky Mountain ATV. There are not a ton of choices, but I am super horrible at reading those tire sizes and then guesstimating size. I am willing to buy whatever the general consensus here is and then to try it out and report back. So send in your votes. While we are at it I would take suggestions as to the best heavy duty tire tube. I would prefer to also be able to buy the tube from rmatv. Go!
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

I would prefer to end up with the widest and heaviest tire that y'all think would work on the TW
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    The problem with tires is that manufacturers take a "that's close enough" approach to sizing. Two or more tires can be advertised as a certain width, but then measure out totally different. Then you go try to compare a mm aspect size to an inch size, what a pain. Bottom line, the 4.00x18 Shinko 241 is not 4" when mounted. It is similar than stock in size, and doesn't seem too small. For me, it just works.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps this will help Tire Chart Conversion
    littletommy likes this.

First "Freedom Machine" I love it.

Second, the 241 is not as narrow as it may seem. In my opinion, it's wider than the stock tire and not much narrower than the 5.10. I've had both.

In yellow helmet is ejfranz and he has a Pirelli MT-43 trials tire. To his right, our left (keep looking left ha ha) is Wa Larry with the 241. Honestly, they looked about the same but ejfranz thinks the Pirelli might be better.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

If it works as good as a front tire as it did for me as a rear tire on several other bikes, my vote is for the Pirelli MT43. Phenomenal traction on most all surfaces, great mileage, and the ability to be run at very low pressure. The "knobs" aren't square like other trials tires; theory is that's why they self clean better.
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Now View Post
    If it works as good as a front tire as it did for me as a rear tire on several other bikes, my vote is for the Pirelli MT43. Phenomenal traction on most all surfaces, great mileage, and the ability to be run at very low pressure. The "knobs" aren't square like other trials tires; theory is that's why they self clean better.

The larger diameter of the MT-43 can be an issue. Just mounted one of these on my XT-225 rear. Minimal front swingarm clearance and very little room left in the axle slot for chain tension adjustment. Should make for a softer ride though.
    Take care my Friend.........

My IRC GP-1 Trials is a 5.10 and has performed rather well last 7,000 miles. You would have to do the research yourself as to whether Rocky Mtn sells them as I have to go get ready to round off some IRC knobs chasing my neighbor on his new KTM 500EXC. I’ll probably get some roost in my face.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

littletommy likes this.

How about those Motoz tires or that Shinko 255 mountain trails trials tire? The name sounds spectacular

Sponosred Links