Pulling a trailer
Close

Hey guys, I was thinking about buying a walk behind lawn mower to make some extra fun money this summer. An to get to the various yards, I was thinking about buying a little trailer from harbor freight to pull behind the tdub. It measures only 40"x48". Think the little bike could pull that with a lawn mower and my 300lbs around town ok? I wouldn't take it above 30 mph. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
    1999 TW200 Mods- Fishing rod holder, Tail bag, handlbar risers, and soon to be JimboSheild

Quote Originally Posted by chevyluver View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking about buying a walk behind lawn mower to make some extra fun money this summer. An to get to the various yards, I was thinking about buying a little trailer from harbor freight to pull behind the tdub. It measures only 40"x48". Think the little bike could pull that with a lawn mower and my 300lbs around town ok? I wouldn't take it above 30 mph. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
    Man Ive had my Dub loaded down with Me, 230 lbs and 3 other shrimpy people and she pulled along just fine. If its going to just be around town and not about 30 mph I would throw a bigger sprocket on the rear to lower the gearing a little. If you dont you may be running through a lot of clutches as you'll need to slip the clutch a little more than usual to get it moving.

A TW will pull the trailer just fine. I'd pull the trailer before worrying about changing sprockets.

My son pulled a walk-behind with a bicycle. He made a tow bar from 1-inch angle and attached it to the mower deck on the horizontal part of the deck next to the front wheels with hitch pins. The angle extended back to between the rear wheels and the result was a nice V tongue that lifted the front wheels off the ground for towing. On and off in 2 seconds. He drilled out the hubs to take Torrington needle bearings and greased them often. Brackets bolted to the deck and handle held gas cans and weed whacker, reducing hitch load to almost nothing. This would work for low speeds and short distances and would be much cheaper than buying a trailer.

In most locations you'll need to figure out how to make the trailer lights work to be legal. Switching to LED lights would reduce the electrical load enough to keep the battery charged. I'd wire the trailer lights as tail and brake, then add a couple oblong clearance lights for turns and be done with it. Maybe 6 LED oblong clearance lights on a piece of angle that bungies to the mower handle would work.

Sponosred Links