Re-Registering for street use in CA?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Does anyone know what is involved in registering a TW for street use in California, once its been green stickered? The previous owner of mine decided to do it and I wanted to choke him ever since. I'm about to dump a bunch of money in mine and don't want to get screwed in the end with something I cant even use. Thanks!

Was it an original CA motorcycle? If yes I bet you will need the vapor recovery tin can attached.

Call DMV and ask and report back here. I am curious.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Was it an original CA motorcycle? If yes I bet you will need the vapor recovery tin can attached.

Call DMV and ask and report back here. I am curious.
    If you are missing the vapor catch-can and need to borrow mine for an inspection let me know.

josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Interesting question. Let us know what you find out.

I got yer back if you need the loan of a tank and Josh has got it on the canister if you need to go to a B.A.R. referee. I'm guessing there will be a VIN and light inspection.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

First thing that you will need to do is get a brake and light inspection completed. This is pretty straightforward. The biggest problem you will have is finding a place that will do this for motorcycles. All they do is make sure that the bike has a functional high and low beam headlight, tail light, turn signals, brake light, horn and mirror.

Next, make sure that your bike has an emissions sticker. This is usually on the inside of the one of the plastic side covers.

I usually call the local police and have them come out and perform a vehicle verification on the bike. This will help make DMV's job easier.

Take your bike, vehicle verification and the brake and light inspection report to DMV. Depending upon how helpful/knowledgeable the clerk is, you will typically be able to accomplish one of the following options:

A)Explain that the bike was originally sold as street legal and that you wish to get it plated again. They may try and tell you that you will have to take the bike to CHP. Explain that you have already had the bike verified by a law enforcement officer and that a CHP inspection is not necessary. It may be necessary to talk to a supervisor if the clerk insists that you must take the bike to CHP. If this option doesn't work, go to plan B.

Explain that you would like to get the bike dual registered. This is explained below:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch15/ch15_15.htm

Not very many DMV clerks are familiar with this process so I'd suggest that you print out the above section of the vehicle code so you can walk them through this process. This will result in your bike being issued a plate and a green sticker. This will cost a little more initially but when your green sticker comes up for renewal you can just convert that to non-op status. Again there is no need to take your bike to CHP for this process.

Be prepared for a little DMV brain death, but there is no reason why your bike can't be plated. I have never had anyone look for the emissions cannister. All they care about is the sticker.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

Is this the sticker? I have one for an '87 TW you can use if you need it.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Is this the sticker?

Yes

I was led to believe that in California you must also have a green sticker to ride on trails along with current registration for street use. If this isn't true I should be able to get a prorated refund from DMV.

Green stickers are strictly for offroad vehicles.

Anything with a license plate is welcome anywhere.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If your bike is street legal, you don't need a green/red sticker no way no how in CA. Not at OHV parks, not on forest service roads, not anywhere you can take a green sticker vehicle. I went through this research last year when I was trying to find a way to get my kid to be able to ride the other TW with me before he was moto legal. Pointless to green sticker a licensed vehicle... if you have a license.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links