do I need TOPO on my GPS
Close

I am still looking for a GPS. Do I need the TOPO maps if I am riding Fire Roads? I like to ride in the Ocala forest and wonder if the roads in the forest will show up on a regular GPS without the Topo maps.

Thanks,

I'm sitting in a coffee house right now, but as soon as i get home I'll fire up my Garmin & see what it shows for trails/roads in that area, then edit this post.

I don't have topos loaded on it, so it'll show what a regular street GPS will give us.

Edit: My street maps don't show the trails in the forest.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I use a topo micro SD card in my CX/Oregon and it seems to have pretty much all trails/logging roads I ride. The issue I find (novice here) is that with the 'micro SD' card it is pretty much a read only. "If" it is possible to preprogram a route, it will have to be done on the GPS unit. This I suspect will be more work than most folks will want to go through. The detail on my micro SD card is great, and really shows me where I am. I bit the bullet and also purchased Topo's on CD with "Base Camp" software that will allow me to plot out a route/path on my computer and load it into the GPS so it will ideally keep me on course during a new adventure. Hope this helps. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

SRS713 Thanks for checking I am at Salt Springs and have numerous Fire Roads and trails across the street. It will be interesting to see if any of them show. You should see 19, 314 and 316 as paved roads.

A paper chart / map will in general have a higher density of information on it than electronic mapping. Those Delorme state appropriate Gazeteers (sp?) work well, especially the ones with lat / long markings. I dis-assemble the map book to the appropriate pages and laminate them. The BLM scenic by way back country road maps can be useful also, I occasionally stop and get out my Etrix to figure out which turn to take. I find all of the electronics people load up their bikes with to be curious. rw

Quote Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
    I am still looking for a GPS. Do I need the TOPO maps if I am riding Fire Roads? I like to ride in the Ocala forest and wonder if the roads in the forest will show up on a regular GPS without the Topo maps.

Thanks,

snip"Do I need the TOPO maps…"snip. The answer is NO!.

But they are convenient especially if you get off road or want to do single track.

You could use paper maps (as another suggested). Your choice!

Good Luck.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

I bought Garmin's Topo DVD for my Rino. Its must be similar to what Mr. Gizmow is writing about. Even though you may not need the contour intervals, most topo maps will include geographical place names such as streams, lakes, springs, and mountain peaks. Most roads show up but some are only labeled as "road" or "unpaved road". I also us Garmin's Base Camp as I can either plan a route and send it to my GPS, or save a track on my GPS and send it to Base Camp on my computer. Having the contour intervals allows me to get a better lay of the land. FYI, mapping software purchased on a microSD card can only be used on one GPS unit, as the DVD can be shared. My Dad, our hunting partner, and myself split the cost of the DVD.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post

Thanks,

I use a Garmin 60csx with topo and love it. I also have a 205w for street. I'm kinda a data collector and the 69csx has an altimeter and other data sets...
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

Geological features do not change rapidly. I see more advantages to the topographical maps than street based mapping. They tend to have the smaller trails. You still have all the streets too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links