• 2 Post By RikR
  • 3 Post By Blockhead
  • 11 Post By Joemama
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 3 Post By Ken
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Keeping My TW 200

Fibromyalgia and Keeping My TW 200

I am 69 years old and always fit and active - 4 years ago I started getting stiff and full body muscle pain...then I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2015. Both my doctor and my wife want me off the bike and into a vehicle to do my back country exploring.

I do hurt more after a couple of hours ride but they are concerned if I crash having a really stiff body is that a minor crash could become a major injury.

I have been dirt riding for 57 years and this is a really hard decision...also my jet ski is on the list to give up.

Anyone else been through having to give up for health reasons.
    centralwarider and Ken like this.

Ken
    Sorry to hear about the health condition. Plumbstraight is currently in a similar situation with blood thinners. I wouldn't ride in this case until off the blood thinners. Sometimes giving into the pain puts you in worse condition. If you feel good enough to ride I would keep doing so but just find a buddy to take along and make them aware of your health condition. The riding is good exercise and you don't have to go fast to have fun. This would ease your wife's concern. She might ride a Tdub, let her try. You could buy another, take it slow and enjoy them together.
    Dryden-Tdub and scotti158 like this.

Thanks Ken - I think the concern is the my body no longer bends and while a small tweak to a normal rider could result in a torn tendon or worse for me. My wife would be the last person you would want on a bike - years back bought her a Honda Trail 110 ...she lasted about 15 minutes.
    Ken and scotti158 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You'll feel worse if you do nothing at all. Just be careful and enjoy your golden years and not worry about what ifs.
    Ken, Reinbarb and scotti158 like this.
    2008 TW200
    2008 YZ250
    2013 Honda CB1100
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    2016 Mazda CX-3
    2006 Hyundai Sonata

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming " Holy Shit, what a ride."

Love it!! I Agree!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming " Holy Shit, what a ride."
    scotti158 and Ken like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Ken
    The big picture is find out what you can do and enjoy it. I understand physical limitations. I still have old injuries which limit me and have to be cautious with the back. I couldn't walk 10' for a while but thank God I recovered.

I feel for you and have similar issues. Just turned 65 but gave up ridding last year because of arthritis that mostly affects old injuries. I certainly can still ride but a half hour of seat time equates to a couple days of pain in my knees, hands and lower back. Just not worth it and not much fun any more. Now I just buy, fix up and sell TWs when ever I find a decent one at a decent price that is worth the effort. Even that is getting harder on the bones with all the up and down and bending over. What we all have to remember is that staying active is the best medicine as we age. I fish the streams and rivers and kayak on the lakes while fishing just so I do keep moving. Rainy days or too many in a row and I start really feeling old because I was house bound and sitting on my rear. I always feel much better after doing some kind of outdoor activity and what hurt when I started does not hurt afterwards.

I say ride for as long as you can as long as it does not cripple you for days after. Spend some cash on good protective gear and wear it when you do go out. Over the knee shin guards have saved me a lot of pain and a good padded jacket is worth its weight in gold IMO. I love the TWs because they fit us older fellows and don't mind going slow and easy like us.

GaryL
    Mel and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links