Stupid Newbie Here. Hi.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Stupid Newbie Here. Hi.

Smile Stupid Newbie Here. Hi.

Hi All.

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone so far for really sparking my interest in the TW200. I saw one on craigslist last week during a casual "i kind of want an enduro" search... did some homework that landed me on this forum, and decided to pull the trigger. So now, I have a 2004 with 2500 miles, with a 42 tooth on the back. First order of business was to take it to the spot I and a buddy used to ride dirtbikes as a kid :
    Tw.jpg

This is quite an adjustment (I haven't ridden any sort of dirt bike in 20 years, and have since put my 2 wheeled miles on my '09 Buell 1125r, and '07 Softail FXST.)... next step is to put the 50 tooth back on and maybe explore some more suitable off road riding gear. So long as I can maybe still hit 60mph on occasion with the 50, I should have everything I need.

Here's the family now :::

bieks.jpg

Anyways : yeah. just wanted to thank you all. The wealth of information and conversation here is what convinced me to buy the TW and join your ranks. Thank you!
    Fred, admiral, scotti158 and 11 others like this.

Welcome to the forum, Nerdrock!

Stupid? Naw.
    New guy sound kind of smart to pick a TW and the plan to change sprockets sure is wise for most off-road riding. Existing drive chain may be (50-42)/2 links too short for the 40 to 50 tooth swap.
    Welcome!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I went from a 50 to a 45, and am still happy for the most part. Yesterday I did the 'hmm, I wonder if I can get through that trail..?'....and then on the way out the 'That trail seems better than the trail I came in on..(But oh man, it turned out to be wayyyy worse)' thing yesterday (first good ride with the 45)....and aside from that trail, I loved the 45.
    Our highways are mostly 110km/h, so everybody's going at least like 73ish. I got the 45 because I wanted to be able to take the highway for a few miles if no other option was available. Honestly, it didn't gain much on the top end because it runs out of schnutz a little sooner but it'll do 110 and be revving a little lower, plus it's brought each other gear up a little so they seem more 'useable'.....and glomming through rutted, rooty trails and bushwhacking around fallen trees, I'd have removed the rear wheel right there in the woods and put the 50 back on if I'd had it with me. I'm likely a pretty crappy rider anyway, and more than once the clutch was telling me that it was time to take a little break. I had never had the TW through that tough of a trail before, but the way it felt, there would have been less clutch-riding and heat with the 50.

Yeah, the 50 should be interesting once I get the chance to swap. I'm relatively ignorant but back when I was a kid it seemed my average use case off road (on a yamaha 100) was 1st being the "granny" gear for nothing but getting started or negotiating REALLY treacherous stuff, and 2nd being the gear with the most use cases. As it sits with the 42 on the back, it felt like 1st was still "granny-ish", but 2nd flat out lacked the power to get me through anything... and only had the speed to get myself into trouble.

Welcome! I'm a stock 14/50 gearing fan myself. I've tried a 47 and a 48 in the back and didn't really care for the slight loss of offroad performance.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Welcome to the forum! We are building a decent size motorcycle "TW" gang here in NY. Where abouts are you located in western NY? If it were me I would put a 48 on the back and call it good. First gear with a 50 tooth just seems too low for our topography. Many, many opinions about gearing though so choose what works best for you.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Welcome!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Welcome to the forum! We are building a decent size motorcycle "TW" gang here in NY. Where abouts are you located in western NY? If it were me I would put a 48 on the back and call it good. First gear with a 50 tooth just seems too low for our topography. Many, many opinions about gearing though so choose what works best for you.

Tom
    Jamestown. The bummer for me is that the only buddy I have in the area into Enduros had to sell his last year. Aside from that, my other very close friend is a vagabond who lives on his KTM 640, and is currently down in Mexico.

ya know with that TW, you are never going to ride that Buell anymore. How about I "store" it for you?
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links