Tips for first TW, A 13k mile 1989.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tips for first TW, A 13k mile 1989.

Tips for first TW, A 13k mile 1989.

Sure you have heard this before but I am excited to learn! So what are the things to check out, pay attn and any other things I should do soon? Any must have accessories? The bike does have a taller rear sprocket, but I do have the stock as well. Most of my riding will be northern Wisconsin back road and sandy dirt trail. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Regards, Larry
    admiral likes this.

Welcome to the forum Larry!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Welcome from northeast Ohio!
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not enough info about your bike and it's condition. How fresh are the tires and are they stock? How fresh is the chain and sprockets? Is the bike running fine now or has it been sitting for a while? Is the tank clean and rust free inside? Garage kept for 28 years or ridden hard and put up wet a lot? And the most important question is How deep are your pockets because we know how to spend other members money really well.

Welcome to the asylum and I too have a very nice 1989 robin egg blue TW with one quarter the miles yours has.

GaryL
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Bike was casually back road and trail driven at previous owners cabin and well maintained. It runs like a top, tank is rust free, chain and sprocket are good, tires are 1 year old Shenkos. The tires are fine as I am not looking to get real aggressive off road, just play on some trails and get around on the dirt roads. All things work as they should and very happy how smooth it runs, shifts handles et cetera. Just want to stay on top of things and looking for some pointers. Thanks, Larry
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldecker View Post
    Bike was casually back road and trail driven at previous owners cabin and well maintained. It runs like a top, tank is rust free, chain and sprocket are good, tires are 1 year old Shenkos. The tires are fine as I am not looking to get real aggressive off road, just play on some trails and get around on the dirt roads. All things work as they should and very happy how smooth it runs, shifts handles et cetera. Just want to stay on top of things and looking for some pointers. Thanks, Larry
    Welcome to the forum. I would say to keep the bike topped up with fresh quality oil and keep the valves in spec. Other than that just take it slow and learn how the bike handles different road/trail surfaces before you start pushing it too hard. To me at least, the best upgrade "after a decent front tire" is a better headlight. LED upgrades are quite inexpensive and the factory bulb is horrible if you get caught out after dark. Oh yeah, quality ethanol free gas "if it's available" the occasional dose of Seafoam and clean and oil the air filter. Honestly doing proper routine maintenance on the TW is so quick and easy it is actually enjoyable. Check your chain slack often or put either an X-ring or O-ring chain on it now and you can all but forget about it for months at a time.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldecker View Post
    We don't often hear the rear tire was replaced with a Shinko. I will be interested in knowing which tire fit. Most here are pretty satisfied with the original rear Bridgestone but do go with some other tire up front.

Sounds like you found a gem so just take care of it and it will pay you back in spades.

GaryL
    littletommy and Ldecker like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I was wondering why you would replace the front tire. I am a new user and have a 2003 tw200 with original tires and only 2000 miles. I also would like to know some upgrades that are a must. My bike is mainly stock. Thanks,
    Parker

Welcome to the forum!! The tire is a 30 year old design which wasn't any good when it first came out. Ok for street, no good off road in most conditions. They want to wash out on you and make you dump your bike. There are many better tires than the TW front tire. The stock rear tire on the other hand, is pretty good.
    bad luck and socalnative like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sweet so what tire do you recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links