Oregon dunes
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon dunes

Hey guys, I've never rode my tdub in sand before. I have the Bridgestone street tires on it. Do you think it will do good at the Oregon dunes in Florence? This will be my first time over there and my quad is acting up a lot right now, so I thought I'd just take my tdub. Any suggestions? Thanks guys
    1999 TW200 Mods- Fishing rod holder, Tail bag, handlbar risers, and soon to be JimboSheild

No!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

T-dubs are great on packed sand (like out on the beach, not far from the water) but lack the horse power for loose soft sand.

You can air down and get around but in my experience, it's not much fun.

I'm very familiar with Florence but have only been there in Suzuki 4x4's and quads. However, I have had my t-dub on sandy trails in Moab, Utah and in Oregon and it was a challenge. It's always a relief to get out of the sand. So being in a HUGE sand dune area like Florence would be daunting.

** FYI: I'm 210lbs and ride an older '89 TW, so maybe other folks with newer bikes and less body weight have had better experiences in sand?

~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have ridden mine with stock tires at Winchester, near florence. The first time was a disaster because I didn't let any air out of the tires. The second time was really fun, I damn near let all of the air out of my tires. I was able to ride just about anywhere. Keep in mind that I weigh 270, It hauled my ass around.

That's cool Chip! Airing down is a huge factor. I'd like to try the deep sand again and deflate down to 5-8psi and see how it works. We were running about 12-14psi in Moab for the slickrock and the deep sandy trails were a pain in the rear!
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Not sure what type of sand you got in Oregon, but our sand here (Turks & Caicos Islands) is wayyyyy too soft, almost like powder. First time I got stuck, let air out and got stuck, almost deflated the tires and got stuck. So I gave up riding on the beach. With a few more horse power and the sand more corse it would be possible.

Keeping your momentum is important. Our sand is more course, so that makes a difference.

Those tires will not work period. The stock front knobby will not work either. The rear stock knobby works just fine. Get yourself an aggressive front tire (either DOT or non-DOT approved).

Momentum is your friend. First gear is pretty useless. My 1990 hauled my 250 lb. frame up some dunes just fine as long as I had the RPMs up and hit them with some speed.

Oregon has some big dunes. Try it out. At least when you fall it doesn't hurt too bad.

Make sure you know whats on the other side of a dune before you blast up it because it may be a razorback or worse yet, a cliff.

If you don't have an aggressive front tire all you'll do is fall over due to your front tire washing out (you'll still fall over even with a knobby, but not too often!) and you won't have any fun because all you'll do is fight the bike.

Dune trip

Another one
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

To be perfectly honest, no dualsport motorcycle is any fun in sand at the slow-down-and-smell-the-roses speeds I like to ride. It takes work to keep a small displacement bike planing across sand. 1st is too slow to keep on top. Wound out in 2nd gear works (25-35mph). The engine lacks the power to pull 3rd.

My only experience with sand was with Darnold in Moab. First was too low and I kept digging in and getting stuck. Second was too high and the bike wanted to bog down. It was a fight to keep the bike upright, it was tiring and sucked.
    Bryan Bagwell

1995 Yamaha TW200

1983 Toyota PU

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links