Buying a 89 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm picking up a 89TW200 in the next few days from a buddy for 1,000

There is just over 10,000KM on the bike.

Is there any essential good to know info/things to watch out for/ fix / replace / upgrade ect for picking up an older one?

Looks like a well cared for bike.

You'll need to look at the normal stuff, just like when buying a used car. Tires, brakes, battery, oil, etc. Some stuff may need to be changed just due to age (cracking fork boots, etc).

If the current owner doesn't know when the last time the sprockets and chain has been changed, I would swap them out for new ones so you know how many miles they have on them.

Make sure all the lights work. Pop off the right side cover and make sure all the wires are there and nothing has been cut/spliced poorly.

You can take off the left side cover and check the air filter.

Put the bike up on a stand and shake the front forks and handle bars, making sure there is no slop or binding. Also, see if the swingarm doesn't move side to side. Spin the front and rear wheels to see if there are any funny noises. Do the wheels spin freely?

The fork oil may need to be changed if the current owner doesn't know when he did it last.

There are many more things to check. Don't be afraid to take off the seat and look at the battery and wires. Get down on your knees and look at the engine covers, making sure they are not cracked and if they are, make sure they have been repaired correctly.

Look into the gas tank, any rust?

Does the petcock turn easily and stop the flow of fuel?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Thanks for check over list.. Ill prob go over there tonight. I'm on the fence on buying this little guy for cheaper or spending a bit more money on a newer "bigger" bike. I did ride this bike a few times last year and they are a ton of fun (especially for the price) So it may just win

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just bought a 90 with 3600 miles. Garage kept, looks like new, but looks like never serviced. Changed the oil and filter, new air sponge filter (mine dissolved when I tried to clean it) adjusted the valves and the timing chain slacker thingy. Took off the carb and tore it completely down. Cleaned everything and replaced the o-rings. Just ordered a petcock assy as mine did not shut off the gas completely. Lubed the throttle cables when I had the carb off. I tied the cables up in the air and moved the throttle back and forth while I 4-in-oned the cables. SMOOOOOTH Rides great now.
    miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before i sleep. Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead so ride west son, ride west

BTW! I got mine for $900. I would have paid $1000 for yours too. Nice bike. I would post a picture but I ain't figured that out yet!
    miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before i sleep. Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead so ride west son, ride west

So i took another look at the bike.

Things is would need:

New battery.

Right break light cable is out (missing pin or something inside of it)

Nob at end of right break handle is broken off.

Nice to do:

New chain

new sprocket

maybe a carb tune?

Left shifter/foot peg is bent.

What do you think it would cost to fix up the little bits? Is it worth it? Should i go for it....

So for parts locally

battery - gel - 43$

brakes - 20$/set

chain o ring $58d

sprokets $15/$32

So just shy of 200$ for the basics.

If i did the carb, thats prob 200$.

So say 1500 in the end. Would still have to fix shifter/foot pegs and break light cable/pin thing.

Is it worth it for an 89 TW or should i spend a bit more and get a newer bike?

If you enjoy fixing stuff then go for it. I love to fix stuff up and get a good feeling knowing I made it the way I wanted it. But I am kinda picky about the color schemes. I really like the black/red 88' and the post 92' models. Nothing a little sanding, paint and time can't fix. It's up to you and your personal preference. Also how long are you willing to wait to get dubbin.

So the main question is, do you like smurfs?!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Well that being said I would prob paint the blue plastic black.. then next winter powdercoat the frame.. as for maintenace/age/investment in parts,. should i do it? how is the price on the bike vs what needs to be done..

About right. It's not a bad price but it couldnt hurt to try to talk him down a little. You could probably get the same bike for about $800 here. It's a crap-shoot buying a used bike but tws hold up really well. That being said, my friend bought an 89' with 5500miles on it that sat for about 10 years and fixed it all up. He is now selling it for $1500.

Left- 89' tw (his) Right-10'tw (mine)

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/2911483893.html
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links