Bent Shfter Lever..
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Had a great ride today! Ended up following an old lane in to the woods, which turned in to a deer trail through a swamp (lots of slippery green dead trees to cross).

Well, I got crossed up at some point and I had to lay the bike down. It seemed like a harmless dump.. even had time to turn the handle bars at the last minute, to save the mirror. But when I hopped back on, I noticed the shifter peg had wrapped 90deg's back, making it impossible to shift. No biggy, the metal is thin and I was able to pull it back in to position (perhaps thin by design to save more integral components).

So I'm curious how many times I'd get away with this before the metal fatigues to the point of breaking. I just might opt to carry a spare shifter lever.
    Screw the house... Let's see the Shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Bookm View Post
    Had a great ride today! Ended up following an old lane in to the woods, which turned in to a deer trail through a swamp (lots of slippery green dead trees to cross).

Well, I got crossed up at some point and I had to lay the bike down. It seemed like a harmless dump.. even had time to turn the handle bars at the last minute, to save the mirror. But when I hopped back on, I noticed the shifter peg had wrapped 90deg's back, making it impossible to shift. No biggy, the metal is thin and I was able to pull it back in to position (perhaps thin by design to save more integral components).

So I'm curious how many times I'd get away with this before the metal fatigues to the point of breaking. I just might opt to carry a spare shifter lever.

Get the MSR shift lever. I believe it's for a PW80 or a TTR225, either way it's listed on the forum here somewhere. Keep the stock one as a spare.

An aftermarket skid plate does away with 90% of this and a folding tip shift lever from something like a YZ80 prolly cures another 7%.

Aside from that you're gunna bend them occasionally.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Shifter thread

There, that's what you need to look at. And yes, a better skid plate will help.

It can get really ugly if you manage to bend a shifter shaft, so look into some kind of remedy soon if you tend to hang out in the rough stuff.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I do like a challenge, so rough stuff WILL happen. Time to protect to bottom end

Thanks
    Screw the house... Let's see the Shop!

Been there, done that. I carry a spare shift lever ziptied to the rear part of the frame.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I do the rough stuff and the first day wearing an aftermarket shifter you know the type shiny alum/alloy spring-back type... I look down and its gone half way up a rutted out valley of doom!! She sheared the shaft off flush luckily I was in 1st but what a buzz kill!!! Now back to stock and will bend them from now on and carry the other brand for a spare!!! good luck
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Does the YZ 250 shifter or the ISM bold straight on? or does it need to be modified to work?

You can also tether your lever. It will keep it from bending backward but won't prevent it from bending inward and holing a case.

There are commercial tethers but a few minutes in a hardware store should get you some light cable and a couple of crush crush sleeves.

Nothing's as good as a decent skid.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links