Gearing change
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gearing change

  1. #1
    Junior Member jj_adams@live.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Republic,Wa
    Posts
    2
    Hey everyone, been reading on the forums for a while and finally joined. I just got an 89 tw 200 and started getting it back on the road. It runs great, has good tires, but I need to change the gearing on it. I live in rural washington, and I need to be able to ride the bike to work (55 mph highways) and go off road a little. Right now it will do 55 at full throttle in top gear with a slight tailwind, and I know that can't be good for the motor. What tooth count sprocket should I use? Ive read on hear that a 14/47 combo might work. I'm running the stock 203/204 Bridgestone street tires. I also need a good place to buy the sprocket and chain.

  2. #2
    Senior Member lizrdbrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Desert, SoCal
    Posts
    7,369
    A TW laughs in the face of 9,000 RPM day in, day out. Takes some getting used to but it's the nature of the beast.



    If your area of rural Washington regularly includes elevation changes of several hundred feet you may want to rethink regearing.



    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

    Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member assquatch20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,299
    With stock gearing I could knock up around 65 on a flat, maybe 67 if I tucked in. It was a bone stock '89 Cali model, and I'm not a small guy. You should be able to wring it out at 55 for hours with stock gearing, but maybe check your jetting out or go for a full tune-up if you're only hitting 55mph. Clean the jets, make sure they're correct, adjust float, valves, compression test maybe, adjust cam chain, and top it off with a color tune of the plug or something. Intake/exhaust leaks even, or a rough air filter. Chain slack might be fighting you as well, or grade. There's a good few variables, but you should be able to roll past 55 surely. If you need help doing any of this, stick around and do some reading.



    I'm 5'10" and 230lbs by the way.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member drake523's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    50
    I changed from a rear 50 tooth to 47 tooth this spring. It makes the bike cruise at 55 much more easily on the flat. I can even keep 50-55 on a fair hill if I get a start. I ride over a mountain each day to work and it will even stay at 50 in 5th gear for quite a bit of elevation change. I live in central PA and I'm small...5'9 165lbs so that might make a difference. The rest of the bike is basically stock...new TW203-204 tires, Jimbo sheild. I'm happy I changed the sprocket. I am certainly no expert, but that is just my opinion and early observations.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Bagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central WA
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Adams View Post
    Hey everyone, been reading on the forums for a while and finally joined. I just got an 89 tw 200 and started getting it back on the road. It runs great, has good tires, but I need to change the gearing on it. I live in rural washington, and I need to be able to ride the bike to work (55 mph highways) and go off road a little. Right now it will do 55 at full throttle in top gear with a slight tailwind, and I know that can't be good for the motor. What tooth count sprocket should I use? Ive read on hear that a 14/47 combo might work. I'm running the stock 203/204 Bridgestone street tires. I also need a good place to buy the sprocket and chain.


    JJ, when you top out at 55 is it because the motor is turning max rpm, or is it just struggling to get there? In other words, are you limited to 55 because the motor wont turn more, or because you run out of power?



    I agree with ass/20 you should be able to easily cruise 55 on flat ground with stock gears. If the bike is over reving at 55 maybe a PO changed (lowered) the gears already. If you run out of power it could be too tall of gear, or the bike may not be running correctly.



    What part of rural WA? I'm in South central WA, If you live close I'd be happy to help you check it out. Shoot me a pm.



    Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

    "If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

    Hidden Content

  7. #6
    Senior Member pgilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    918
    Yeah, get a tooth count on your current gears. We'd hate to tell you to try a gear combo that you may already have.



    You may just have a jetting issue and/or a carb adjustment issue (slide not raising enough). Something to consider, at least. But give us some specs on your altitude and current gearing so we have a little more background.
    Sold bike.



    Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  8. #7
    Senior Member evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Woodland, California
    Posts
    2,126
    I have the 47 tooth rear sprocket on my 89 tw and like it. Don't have to wind up the motor too much to go 55 and first gear is fine. Have climbed some pretty steep dirt hills and have stock motor and original tires. Make sure you have a good oring chain.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

  9. #8
    Junior Member jj_adams@live.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Republic,Wa
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    JJ, when you top out at 55 is it because the motor is turning max rpm, or is it just struggling to get there? In other words, are you limited to 55 because the motor wont turn more, or because you run out of power?



    I agree with ass/20 you should be able to easily cruise 55 on flat ground with stock gears. If the bike is over reving at 55 maybe a PO changed (lowered) the gears already. If you run out of power it could be too tall of gear, or the bike may not be running correctly.



    What part of rural WA? I'm in South central WA, If you live close I'd be happy to help you check it out. Shoot me a pm.



    Bag
    To me it feels like the motor is maxed out. I went for a ride today and decided that im going to tune it up and rebuild the carb before the gear change. I also need to put a different muffler on it since it has a supertrapp that is missing all the discs, and it sounded great until i rode it for a day haha.



    Bag, I'm in north eastern washington, in a small town called republic, probably a ways away from where youre at. I'm about a half hour from the Canadian border.

  10. #9
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Adams View Post
    To me it feels like the motor is maxed out. I went for a ride today and decided that im going to tune it up and rebuild the carb before the gear change. I also need to put a different muffler on it since it has a supertrapp that is missing all the discs, and it sounded great until i rode it for a day haha.



    Bag, I'm in north eastern washington, in a small town called republic, probably a ways away from where youre at. I'm about a half hour from the Canadian border.
    There's your problem. It's hard to beat the Yamaha engineers at exhaust tuning on a stock engine. With stock sprockets, 55mph is 19mph shy of redline.




  11. #10
    Senior Member Guitarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Trois-Rivieres, Canada
    Posts
    167
    If the sound of the engine is worrying you at high RPM, I suggest you seriously consider riding with ear plugs. It's day and night! You'll notice that engine noises are much less frightening. ;-) Give it a try and tell my how you feel when you come back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Gearing for ATV tire
    By flyhunter3825 in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
  2. Road trip gearing
    By small's in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
  3. My First TW, Accessories and Gearing etc?
    By JayinMaine in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM
  4. Best way to change gearing
    By sherm in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
  5. Gearing different between 2000 and 2008 models?
    By kiloforce in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM

Search tags for this page

tw 200 gearing

,

tw200 gearing changes

Click on a term to search for related topics.