Deathwing in action on Youtube
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Deathwing in action on Youtube

Deathwing in action on Youtube

Found this video on YouTube. This is not my video. If it were me, it would be slow and boring. If you haven't seen this before, here is an example of the Deathwing washout in action @ 28 seconds. The rider in this video looks like his skills are good. Seems to be from last year in South Africa at a nice enduro trail. He does a nice evaluation of the bike.

Cheers,

Peter

lol, same thing always happens...seems ok, then bam, slip or slide and you are down.
    He does a nice job to recover and notes not as much grip from the front.
    littletommy, Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

Just another point of view. Just be careful with it.

I rode Moab 16 with my Death Wing all over the place without any problems except in the deep deep sand like on Bartlett Wash Road. I didn't ride in Hidden Canyon last year and did this year but I'm pretty sure I would not have liked riding Hidden Canyon with the DW because of how much sand there is.

In this video and part II, if you're so inclined to watch it, I rode in a fair amount of sand with the DW without issue. I did have a little issue in the deep sand going slow in the creekbed but truth be told I would have probably had similar trouble no matter what front tire I was using in these tight turn situations.

You'll see in the video the DW does quite well in the rock and sand. I'm not promoting the DW, and I do switch to a better tire when the DW wears out. Does it deserve the title of Deathwing? Possibly but I think a lot depends on many conditions (new rider/rider experience, not familiar with off-road riding, tire pressure, etc).It's probably is very import for a person to exercise a bit more caution with the DW than a better aftermarket tire. I do believe the DW is horrible in mud, wet grass, generally any wet condition or surface though, no excuses for performance in those conditions.

There are a lot of TW riders who keep it on (the DW) and do just fine. After I wear out my DW's I do put on different tires like an SR244 or SR241 as I did this winter. Because Mrs. Admiral's SR244 wore out, just a few weeks ago I swapped out her front tire and put my 241 on her TW and put a nearly new DW back on mine.

My TW (left of green bike) last year at Moab with the DW on 7 Mile Rim Trail. Like almost all of the trails in Moab, there is a lot of rock and a lot of sand.

Me on a pretty sandy trail at Moab 16 with the DW.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral - good points about the DW. Experience goes a long way. You could see how he caught it and his voice changed a bit to reflect his higher heart rate. When I started researching TWs, I thought the whole Deathwing monicker was kinda harsh. But it's good that anyone who does a little research is at least forewarned.

I didn't realize that was your YouTube channel. I've been watching your posts for over a year. Keep up the good videos. I hope I can get my bike to Moab sometime.

Mind me asking you what camera setup you used back then and what you use now?

Cheers,

Peter
    Ken, SanDue, littletommy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Admiral - good points about the DW. Experience goes a long way. You could see how he caught it and his voice changed a bit to reflect his higher heart rate. When I started researching TWs, I thought the whole Deathwing monicker was kinda harsh. But it's good that anyone who does a little research is at least forewarned.

I didn't realize that was your YouTube channel. I've been watching your posts for over a year. Keep up the good videos. I hope I can get my bike to Moab sometime.

Mind me asking you what camera setup you used back then and what you use now?

Cheers,

Peter

Yeah, there is no doubt the DW has caught riders off guard. Probably could be said of any tire though but even I pay more attention to the trail with the DW.

This year Don from Milwaukee rode with us. You can see him in the first several days of my videos. He wore a white 3/4 open face helmet. I don't know if he is a forum member signed up or not, nor any forum name but Don has/does watch the forum as he knew when the Moab Gathering was this year.

Camera setup. For the past few years, I've been using an ION AirPro Wifi something or another camera. Takes great video but the microphone is super ultra sensitive and picks up everything, including wind noise. I try to muffle it but the only real time's wind is a problem is when I'm riding fast or it's windy. On my full face, I have it mounted on the right side of the chin. This helps reduce some of the wind noise. Mounted on the side or top the wind noise is too much.

Last year I bought a "backup camera" after I had some recording issues with the ION (battery dead or disk full and I didn't know it). It's a SJ4000 which looks like a GoPro. I call it my "FakePro". It's an ok camera. Video is sharper but the color is off and I can't see to get it adjusted correctly. It's worse when riding in Red Rocks, then it has a redish/brownish tint. I like this one because it has a screen on the back so I can see if it's recording and aiming. I have set the ION aiming up thru trial and error (best guess).

Here is a picture with the location of both camera's.

FakePro with mount glued on front

With my ION

On my 3/4 helmet, I mount it under the visor, again, to help reduce wind noise.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Just for info: Don is "Knobby". His forum name - not a comment on his appearance. He "liked" something last week which was good since it means he is alive after leaving Moab.
    Badgerflorida, Ken, SanDue and 3 others like this.

One thing that I have learned from years of riding is that riding position has a big impact on perceived tire traction problems. Sitting with weight back a bit will most definitely give the feeling of reduced traction at the front. A lot of riders tend to do that in sand.
    When riding any type of rougher off-road terrain I generally stand, lean forward with my head over the front fender, and keep the elbows out - this allows for more aggressive use of the throttle without the tendency to get too light in the front. The front tire needs the pressure to keep the line while the back can dance around without affecting control of your direction. I'm relating this from riding other bikes however and not particularly the TW.

Thanks for the info Admiral. Wind noise seems to be one of the biggest challenges for action cameras. Also - I saw a really bright colored Tdub in some of your YouTube videos. Is that your wife's?
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Also - I saw a really bright colored Tdub in some of your YouTube videos. Is that your wife's?
    Ja sure you betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Ja sure you betcha!
    My daughter rides a Kawasaki KDX and has a horse - she would be in heaven there! Where is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links