Pay it forward
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Pay it forward

Last week I was filling up my monstrous vehicle with gasoline and a man at the pump just over from me asked for help. He said he needed some gas to get back home and he had no money. I was feeling pretty damn giving for no reason in particular and filled his tank for him. He said he would post me money and I told him to forget about it, just remember generosity. I thought to myself how lucky he was to have asked the right person at the right time. My girlfriend was in the car and expressed her confusion and displeasure, as gas is very expensive and I had helped out a stranger with no expectations of reimbursement. I told her that every act of kindness is also an act of selfishness because it makes the giver feel good about what they have just done. A sense of goodness and pride in ones own life. She said thats stupid and i should just shut up before I make myself look like a selfish jerk. So I ended the convo but in my mind i felt like what i had done for him would come back to me sooner or later.

Today, after watching Easy Rider for the first time, I took my newly acquired 2005 TW200 out for my first real ride. As I am new to this whole thing I made a few mistakes. I left alone without telling anyone where i was going, rode out into the rural parts of Southern Arizona, had no destination in mind or timeline planned. Even so the mountains were beautiful and there were no other vehicles to be seen for miles on end. The mountain roads were bumpy and winding but even with next to zero riding experience the TW made it so effortless and fun. In what seemed like no time at all I was in a valley behind the Huachuca Mountains at least 100 miles from home. To make things even more interesting the sun was about to set. Just as I was reflecting on how amazing my journey was going the TW quit. The lights were still on so I knew then I must have used all the fuel. The stock 1.8 gallon tank brought me 115 miles or so to a place i had never been. I pulled to the edge of the road and smiled and thought about how foolish an amateur i was. 'Duh gasoline fuels this thing, not smiles or wind or good intentions.' I opened up the gas tank to make sure. Yup, no gas. I remembered the possibility for a few miles of travel on the reserve tank but no refueling stations would be anywhere near for the next 20-30 miles or so. I put the cap back on and switched the petcock over to reserve. Just then, before sparking back up, and only moments after running empty, an SUV with a boat in tow stopped and asked if I was OK. I simply said, "No gas." He smiled and hopped out. He pulled a gas can out of the boat and said "This is a 4 stroke engine on my boat, so its plain gasoline." Perfect the TW is 4 stroke too! He filled me up and said that should be enough to get me to Sonoita. I asked to give him a couple bucks and he replied "Hell no, just help out the next guy." I smiled and remarked "Thank you kind fisherman for helping me, and I will do just as you say." Well, turns out I already did, didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gbock View Post
    Well, turns out I already did, didn't I?

No excuse to stop now

Keep up the good work.

+1 on ya. i've been there and done that, and even questioned myself sometimes like your girlfriend did... but i always figure some day it will be my turn to screw up and be down on gas somewhere.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good for you. What goes around comes around.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Great story and exactly what life is all about!

Three Thumbs Up

-val-
    "Keep Public Lands Open to the Public" | Hidden Content

, welcome aboard ! Gerry
    TWilight likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

That just made me smile And yes, welcome!
    TWilight and dette like this.
    2011 TW200 Hidden Content

Good to have you!

Ronnydog
    TWilight likes this.

We're biologically programmed to help another troubled person in need.

Why so many people are selfish pieces of trash that would leave somebody to die, I have no idea. They must be reincarnates from hell that have no emotions. Maybe just maybe...I know so many people that act like freakin' robots...it could be the truth!

Great story. The best thing you can do when helping someone out is to tell them to return the favor by helping someone else in need.
    TWilight likes this.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

its the circle of love that makes the world go round.
    TWilight likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links