Tw total wattage/amps
Close

How many amps or watts does the newer tw's produce at 5,000+rpm? Can the newer bikes handle an extra 22 watts at 5grand or more? I am planning on running two 22 watt leds or a 22 and a 10w on separate toggles so i can use them at night on the backroads with the hid or off-road with the hid off. I see some are running heated vest with the headlight as long as they are moving at speed. What is the max volts the battery should be charging 15?

35w. Hid

3.4w speedo

8w. Tail light

16w. Both running lights

No bulbs in instrument panel

62.4w. Total

82.4w With one led

106.w max with two leds

Watts divided by volts= amps.

So total stock, 62.4 divided by 15 would be about 4 amps. At 82.4, 5 and a half. At 106, 7.

If you are cranking out 12 instead of 15, the figures would be about 5, 7, and 9, within a few watts.

The generation system in my '89 always seemed feeble; I hope it works for you.

We will see!! I have two leds and a digital bike voltmeter on the way.. I was looking for leds floods in the 10-12 watt range but i was only finding spot beams. About 5 hours after i ordered them i found a complete kit at mondomotos.com for $140 that look like they would be perfect for a tw and they are a cheaper. Oh well i will soon find out if it can handle the ones im getting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Switch all the other bulbs to LEDs and you'll gain 9-10 watts. The stock late headlight is 60 watts on high. Switching to HID reduces headlight wattage to 35 watts. Total savings about 35 watts, or enough to run a second HID with about the same total draw as the stock system. Tdub ran dual HIDs until flying rocks took them out. No problem if you run "bi-xenon" HIDs (arc changes position rather than HID low/halogen high.

TWs have a "balanced" electrical system--the bike draws a bit less than the alternator makes, with the difference trickle-charging the battery. "Balance" is necessary to insure solid performance.

I put on a bikemaster 6000k hid kit with a toggle on the low beam and its great compared to the stock light. It is a bi-xenon. I have a digital voltmeter from advmonster.com coming with the leds. So i should know if she can handle it once i get everything here and wired up. Ive checked the voltage with the bike running at idle and revved up and its 14-15 volts. I even turned the headlight off just out of curiousity and it still didnt go over 15 volts.

Sponosred Links