Just purchased my first bike! 2002 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself, I just purchased my first Bike and I've had my eye set on the TW for a while.

I'm an expat living abroad in Hong Kong and ever since I landed I noticed a lot of these "naked yamaha's with big fat tires" I thought they looked sexy right from the get go, after doing a bit of research I've found there is a real cult following for these bikes world wide, including HK but real big in Japan.

I finally took the time to get my Bike licenses here as i'm tired of running public transport - in HK owning a car is very expensive, mostly due to parking but you can park a bike for free.

I piked up a 2002 from the second HK owner, from what I can tell it was imported from Japan in 05, and it has 22k on it. It has a few mods including fenders ripped off, rear break light replaced and new exhaust (sounds good). I hope over the next 6 months i can tune the bike up a bit more to make her special.

I plan to put new tires on next week - Bridgestone 203/204 as the current bike has a mismatch front a rear. I've browsed the forum and for road use I hear these should be best bet, however slightly slippery in the rain? (please comment if you feel differently)

Next Mods:

- Remove all plastic

- Remove bulky TW emblems from gas tank and repaint

- Fix rear of the bike to move signals and break lights closer to the back of seat

- change rear suspension (potentially the blaster shock) I'm 6'4 so I think this would be a nice mod. (if anyone has a shock/kit they want to sell please PM me)

- Paint or replace handlebars as they are slightly worm. (not rusted but looking a bit corroded)

- replace or remove plastic boots from front forks (one is cracked)

Anyhow, Stay tuned and I look forward to participating in the forum over the next 6 months.

Nerk

By boardatwork at 2012-05-01

By boardatwork at 2012-05-01

pm'd u back - with an address..

yes those 203/204 are prettty bad in the rain..

the knobblies I mentioned seem just as good or bad...

I think you might be able to get shinko here - but everywhere I went said the 203/204 werent here any more .. ( that may or may not be true )

nut as I said the knobblies are going ok..

I did want road tires actually an perhaps you can order on line if u cant get thru the local lingo
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Dub,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you, you've been a bike help so far!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

no worries! I'm motorbike mad!

since you wont have your bike for another 2 weeks then perhaps consider getting these shipped over..

has any one else used the battlewing's?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=4&zmap=44669

the shinko's look good as well for street riding... I heard them mentioned a few times up here if you look for tire threads.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=4&zmap=20396

or get you g/f to look on and see if they are locally - cos I asked a 2 or 3 places ( but not the yamaha dealer??) and could only get the TW34's - which as I have said do feel better than a worn out tw203/204 combo.. ( is that

http://ibike.com.hk/

yamaha dealer

http://www.ibike.com.hk//02_market/y..._web/index.htm

see if she can find you a set.

If she does let me know where! cheers!

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

I'll be on a beach in the Philippines for the next week and a half, not much will get done till I'm back. I'll let you know how my hunt goes!

Welcome to the TW forum.
    KJ

2008 Yamaha TW200

2011 Kawasaki Versys

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV

2013 Honda CRF250L

So with my busy schedule I was able to finally pick up my TW200 yesterday.. It was located near the China Border in Yuen Long while i live on Hong Kong Island.. about a 1 hour drive. I had a few friends join to escourt me home... It was my first real ride on real roads - all is good and my baby sits in her new parking spot..

She ran well, a few minor things I noticed that makes me want to get it in for a tune up. After i parked her i could smell a bit of burning oil. I'm not sure if its because it sat for a few weeks with out being driven!? or should i be worried about something more serious?

I can sure relate to dubstep with the sloppy roads here in HK. I need to get some new rubbers on her ASAP!

probably advisable to keep an eye on the oil level for the first month - see what it is burning off..

how does the oil look in the inspection window? is it brand new oil?

as its HK I bet there's no service history in the TW price range

honestly for tires I think the TW302 are great for roads..

according to the Bridgestone site they are designed for road use and wet road use too..

so they are knobblie - but if you look at the knobbles there are way more than a "proper" off road tire.. so I think of them as road tires with extra sized tread

looking at your pipe I think off road isnt gonna happen.. so you can try shinko's if you can find them they *may* be better as 100% road tire... but honestly I feel pretty good with 302's on the streets,,, and on my Honda CRM250 I'm pretty aggressive on them..

Owen Motorcycle - ( 2398 1411 ) the corner of Nam Cheong Street and ferry street Sham Shui po - they will fit inside an hour.. if I remember it was around HK$ 1900 for front and back..

else try the Yam dealer for TW203/204? lemme know ho you get on

Thanks dub, its good to hear from you. I had a friend recommend a shop in quarry bay that will install the 203/204 combo for 2500 or 3K if I need tubes? It will take one day to order the tire so plan is to go monday.

Hearing 1900 installed on the 302 has we wondering - do you think the 203 should be the same price!?

I'm going to have the shop do a full inspection / fluid flush also. Start fresh on all fluids.

+1 on fluid change! you mean oil for sure but brake fluid?

I changed the brake fluid on "mine" - and it was amazing - cos the soft feel of the brakes was probably down to the fluid having lots of water in it!!!!

some people recommend a new chain when you get a bike as well - since you dont know how long that one has been on for..

maybe ride it a bit - see how your sprockets are?

dont really know but gut instinct says 2500 for the 203/204 a bit pricey? I got a new set of Bridgestone S20 hypersports for 2900 fitted? ( for my honda 600 )

the 302's were definitely under 2000 a set.

personally i think the 203/204 combi looks better tho - ie suit the style of the bike?

altho saying that - I really didnt like the 203 front tire on wet roads - could be that it was an old wore tire?? ... but the 302's do actually feel good on road IMHO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links