salvage bike - VIN location
Close

So I got this bike from behind a shed on a property I was cleaning up. This forum was largely responsible for getting it to run rather than just send it to the scrapyard.

I looked and the VIN is scraped off the front of the frame, is there another place to look? I have googled and all it says is that it is on the engine block, but I can't find it, any advice? (also I looked through the forum and couldn't find an answer)

Also, I am curious if anyone knows what year this bike is, I think it is a 1992

Thanks if you can help

Your bike is most likely a '91.

The engine number is on the top of the crankcase on the right side of the vent tube.

The VIN number is stamped into the steering head on the right side. On a black frame it can be dificult to see but it would be difficult to remove except with a grinder.

Is it possible that what's "scraped off" is a decal? If it is it is only the the remains of a tag which gave a redundant VIN number and some tire inflation info. The stamped number will be slightly behind it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I see where the number was, along the left side of the sticker, looks like it was hit with a grinder, yes.

there is a NY State inspection sticker with all but the first number on it. Maybe the DMV or police can get the VIN from that.

Engine block says 3AW-04 ??6

Thanks for your help

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like major hurdles for a title. Could it have been stolen?

The police can "raise" the vin number if there is sufficient metal, but how they do it or what the process is I have no clue. Just remember seeing it.

If you give Yamaha the engine block number they can probably give you the vin of the bike.

Sounds stolen to me. Even smells stolen.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Payne View Post
    The police can "raise" the vin number if there is sufficient metal, but how they do it or what the process is I have no clue. Just remember seeing it.

If you give Yamaha the engine block number they can probably give you the vin of the bike.

Sounds stolen to me. Even smells stolen.

yeah, I heard the can get it even if it was grinded, I will ask the state police to check it out

was left for junk, but I got it running, and absolutely got hooked on this bike. if it isn't reported stolen and I can't register it, I will run it in the woods and look for another TW that I can put on the road. I am addicted

Around here it is illegal to possess a vehicle with the vIN ground off, no matter the situation. Check the laws before calling in the law. I'm thinking the VIN would not be ground off if it wasn't stolen at some point. I expect it will come up stolen and be returned to the legal owner if you ask the cops to the party. Probably the right thing to do. If your conscience doesn't bother you, just ride it offroad.

Sponosred Links