Terracross tire failure #2
Close

I have bad luck with these tires....

Decided id try it again with another terracross i had laying around...used a secret lube...one bead poped on around 55ish... pulled the plug at probably 60-65 psi. Let it sit in the sun for a whjole day, came home to find that both beads have poped..yay happy dance...but the tire was flat. Inflated the tire, and it was leaking. So i broke the bead, pulled the tube out, and found this. I aint giving up, i wont be using the same tire tho. Looks like the bead got pretty trashed. Tire number 3 is next.......

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

I am not even a novice when it comes to mounting tires, I have never done it. But it looks like that the rubber was melted/dissolved/degraded, could this be due to the secret lube you spoke of?
    -Szj

2001 TW

I would quit while you still have all your digits. You are gonna end up in a life flight video like Chad. And what for? A tire that is a little fatter? Not worth it!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm waiting for you crazy guys to figure out a decent atv tire that doesn't have the ability to remove appendages when mounted... Was kinda hoping you had a tire cage or something though

Ended up ordering a stock rear tire, no time to mess around this summer
    ITCB

xdac, dude! The contents of the first picture stopped me in my tracks, so to speak! Not a criticism, just words like "oxidiser" and

"Fatal Explosion" and a mysterious bottle of some sort of florescent green liquid, gave me mixed feelings of terror & delight!

I had a weird thing happen once with that "florescent green liquid", I was re-vamping a bicycle that belonged to my niece, and this bike had been out to "Burning Man" which is held out in the Nevada desert on an alkaline flat. The bike had a flat tire, and there was a fair amount of the very fine dust from the flat, which is extremely high in PH. I was working on the bike out in the sun on a day where the temp was around 80 degrees f. The tire was good and hot. Upon the application of the "florescent green liquid", I gave the tire a low volume of air, around 10psi, & started rotating the wheel to spread the liquid throughout, when suddenly the wheel became very hard, the tube bulged out from between the tire & rim, and the resulting explosion sounded like a 12 gauge. No injures, but sticky.

I know you will think I'm sick, but soap, water, and KY jelly (used sparingly) should do the trick. Remember, KY is safe for latex, etc. and washes off with water.

OK, I know, bring on the jokes, I'm ready! m.

I have a locking air chuck, and i put the tire under my 20ft flatbed trailer, with a rubber atv tire on top to absorb the boom, and cover it with a blanket..if there is a boom ill be standing back by the air compressor. I stop at 70 psi and let the sun do the rest. Its about as safe as driving 75mph down the freeway in your death trap car. You dont need to preach to me about it being unsafe, i know the dangers. Been there, done that, and have the t shirt thats thrown in the closet of other secrets.

I applaud your efforts. Sounds like you are being as safe as you can be which I like to hear. Now, my questions are, did something eat that bead? Is it from the tire irons? Bad bead?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Could be a bad bead..ive had the tire sitting outside for a year or so..i purchased used and the bead wasn't chewed up at all. The dimples in the bead are from rocks getting stuck in it when it was previously mounted on a side by side. Partly could be the mounting process but not that bad. I still think its the amount of force and pressure it takes to mount it...you saw the other terr across tire i had so i would imagine a few stressful rides and this would look the same. I wonder if there's any larger inside diameter 14 inch tires out there that would go on easier...

My apologises, no preaching from me, just a bit of fun. m.

Try a longer swing arm!

Mine did the same tire bead peel 3x so I just rotated it to a fresh spot.

Ronnydog

Sponosred Links