Need Advice
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Need Advice

Need Advice

I bought a 2001 a few months ago with 4,800 miles and was pretty happy that everything on it worked. I safety inspected as much as my limited experience and reading would allow and was happy enough with the bike that I finally registered, titled, and insured it. A few days ago, I attempted to tune the carb and the pilot screw adjustment has really brought this little thing to life. I didn't realize how crappy it was running until that. Now that it is running pretty dang good, I want to make some basic mods and I would like your advice. I already have a plan in place to get newer, more street oriented tires. I've got so little money invested in this bike that it has become my primary goal to spend as little money as possible without jeopardizing safety. With my goal of frugality in mind, let me know your thoughts, advice, and links for the following items. I've read tons of posts on these items and some of them are a bit older, so I'd like to hear from the experts what is working for you now.

1. The bike has stock 14/50 tooth sprockets. I'd like the most cost effective sprocket ideas for gaining a little top end speed. I'm 165 lbs and the bike pulls like a champ. Most of my riding is on the roads. Not too hilly here, but does get windy. And I've wrapped my mind around the fact that this little bike is not an interstate cruiser.

2. I've been starting out mostly in 2nd gear, trying not to lug the engine and ride the clutch. 1st gear in most of my riding conditions seems virtually useless. I'd like to hear if you think I'm doing more harm to the motor, clutch, or transmission. And if you think a certain sprocket setup would improve starting from a dead stop in either 1st or 2nd.

3. I gotta have bigger pegs for this thing. The Krator's from Amazon for $15.62 free shipping just seem to meet my frugal requirements and I prefer steel over aluminum. If you have other ideas I'd appreciate it.

4. Just has a standard chain that appears to be in pretty good shape. I'm not sure I'd gain much from an O or X ring chain, but while I'm changing tires and sprockets, that would be the best time to upgrade the chain. What would be the best price I could expect to pay for an O ring and the best vendor?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and offer any advice. Also, if you have ideas for other high bang for the buck upgrades.

Cheers,

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 07-18-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    Ken likes this.

You didn't ask but I see the stock front tire (death wing) on there. If you're shelling out for upgrades it would be a good time to look at something else..shinko 241, etc. The stocker isn't as bad if you're staying on pave but an upgrade will be night and day if you get into anything loose.

The pegs are a cap shoot...I got 'steel' $15 pegs but they're some light. They've taken a few knocks and are still fine though.
    I went with an o ring chain and a 45 rear. 1st gear is usable again and is low enough for all but the gnarliest glomming through bad trails.
    My stock chain was stretched out at 2500kms and after that it needed adjustment to after every couple rides. If you're swapping sprockets just get an o ring chain and set it and forget it pretty much.
    With 14/45 mine let's me jump on the highway for short jaunts at 100-105 km/h easily. A 50 will do that too but at revs that feel higher than necessary...but the 45 makes 1st back into a usable gear.
    Cheap hand guards will save your levers if and when it takes a nap on its side plus they shield your hands from a lot of wind on cooler days.
    Likely close to the same stuff others will say....
    I'll let them chime in.

Good advice Fishguy.
    Many would argue that anytime final drive parts have seen appreciable wear (4800 miles!) the three elements of sprockets and chain should be replaced simultaneously. This helps prevent one worn element from accelerating premature wear on the other parts. So the best time to replace the chain would seem to be when you change the sprockets.
    cowboyjeff, Mattwings, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your advice. I forgot about hand guards. Definitely good bang for your buck there.
    Ken likes this.

If your riding is on the street the 203/204 combo is a good choice. I've even found they work well on hard pack gravel.
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

I am the same weight as you are. I put Bridgestone 203 and 204 tires on my spare wheels with 14 stock front and 44 rear sprocket and took 3 links out of my chain. My rpms dropped at 55 mph so I can actually hear instead of hearing the motor scream. It has made a huge difference as far as road riding goes. I can get through an intersection without shifting gears and have done some trail riding with this setup and can actually still ride in 2 nd gear most of the time.
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

Glad to hear your good experiences on 203s and 204s. I have a set in transit. Hope to install them myself. Lots of good advice here. Thanks all
    Ken, lugnut and Xracer like this.

I know I saw a chain size chart somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyone know how many links for 14/45? Pretty sure it's 120, but thought I better check before ordering. Thanks.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Badgerflorida likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Yes, 14/45 takes a 120 link chain. ( just double-checked my order history at Fortnine to make 100% sure)
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links