Hauling question.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I will be hauling my bike home tuesday. The problem is I have a long bed f250 with a tool box mounted behind cab. The distance from tool box to tailgate is 70 inches. My bike is approx 82 inches.

Question, should I turn front wheel slightly and strap bike or turn whole bike slightly ?

Or....should I load straight/strap and leave tailgate down ?

Or.....should I borrow a friends rear hitch carrier ?

If I use the hitch carrier, does it need support on each side (I cant remember if his has side supports ?

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Revolverman.
    The older I get, the more I realize it's easier to be kind in most situations.

I would go straight with the tailgate down, but nearly diagonal (front wheel still straight with bike, wedged between wheel well and toolbox sorta) with good chocking and strapping would be safest I think.

I just go straight in and leave the tailgate down.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Ride it home, Do it with the gate down.
    Dave A. Smith

Bike diagonal across the bed. 4 straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post

^^^+1

check this out...

http://www.ancra.com/consumer/pdfs/an_instb.pdf

their cam-style straps have a lot less moving parts than a ratchet strap so they fail less...i usually do a couple half hitches above and below the cam for piece of mind

http://www.ancra.com/

...this is in a 97 small 2WD toyota tacoma...i have bark busters on this bike so i tie off to those for more leverage (not like it's shown in the picture)...2 cam style straps to the front corners and in the rear i go across the back of the truck and loop the back tire to keep forward pressure on the bike (since the back of the rear tire is past the 2 rear tie downs in the truck)...i also keep the kickstand down and use the triangle stand in the rear for a little help and put it in first gear...well at least on this bike...on the TW i do the same minus the triangle stand and i just tie off to the handlebars under the crossbar

Cam buckles and S-hooks have no place on motorcycle straps.

Only way to go.

a lot of guys with bigger bikes use the cam straps...just sayin'...

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...tml#post813323

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/516...chet-tie-down/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/342...do-you-prefer/

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Cam buckles and S-hooks have no place on motorcycle straps.

Only way to go.

Revolver, if it were me, I'd load it diagonal and have the tailgate closed. Your only putting in one bike I assume?

Also, whenever I tie down any load, I like to plan for the worst, not just what I need to get down the road. In other words, What if I have to do an emergency stop? What if I get run off into the ditch? That sorta thing.

So an extra strap of two is cheap insurance that in a bad turn of events, I don't get the bike coming through the back window, or worse yet, have it launch out into a mini van full of girl scouts.

When in doubt, throw on another Quality strap. I also stop at the end of our driveway ( a rough mile) and check my load.

I would rather be thought foolish, than careless.

Glad your bringing her home!!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

As I got older I have found that there is simply no "only way to go" and if there was it would be for a very brief time. New and better stuff is coming out all of the time.

I started hauling motorcycles in pickups and trailers back in the 60s. The original tie-down straps, both cam-type and ratchet, left a lot to be desired. The cam type would sometimes slip, particularly if they got wet, and the ratchet types were not nearly as flexible in use. If the strap was left long for more reach, and then you needed it for a shorter application, the strap would pile up under the retaining pawls, making them useless.

Both types have improved over the years, and I would trust either type to hold a bike securely if used properly.

I have hauled bikes as far north as Eagle Alaska, as far South as Cabo San Lucas in Baja, and as far East as the Rockies in Colorado. In the last 20 years I have never had a problem with either type strap.

In my personal experience, the only times bikes moved around when hauling was when the tire(s) moved sideways in the truck bed. Even then it was only when I was traveling over extreme terrain when 4 wheeling. I solved that problem by using wheel chocks. There are many brands of wheel chocks, and I have tried several. I like the Condor Chock because it is stable, fits any sized bike wheel, front or rear, and folds up flat for storage.

I just put the chock in the bed, adjusted for the wheel size, then roll the bike in and onto the chock. It will sit there upright until you tie it down. I use four straps of either type. When unloading, just remove the straps and the bike will sit there until you pull it off the chock. A good chock makes loading and unloading much simpler and easier, plus it takes a lot of strain off the straps when traveling. I like to keep the bike straight in the bed.It spreads the load better. If the tail gate will close, fine. If not, I travel with it down. No problem.

The Condor is just one of many chocks out there, and a lot of different places carry them. Here is one site:

http://www.customdynamics.com/condor...heel_chock.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links