Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By skase98
  • 1 Post By Darryl
  • 1 Post By like2wlz
  • 1 Post By Deepseadan
  • 1 Post By skase98
  • 2 Post By rmartin
  • 2 Post By Donzo

Thread: WPS Lithium Battery in my Tdub! w00t!

Cool WPS Lithium Battery in my Tdub! w00t!

It was time for a battery so I took the plunge. Here's what it looks like (although the pics keep coming in upside down :-/)

20170723_070954.jpg

20170723_071016.jpg

20170728_100128.jpg

It's super light and super teeny! Here's what I learned.

1) Make sure you have a battery charger that can handle a lithium battery. I didn't have one at all so I bought a Schumacher SP6 because it can handle both typical (lead acid, AGM, etc.) and lithium batteries.

2) You'll need extra foam pieces. The two chunks that are included are helpful but there's about a 1/2 inch gap on one side of the battery. If I was going to mulligan this, I'd probably use some 1/4" styrofoam and fit it around three sides of the battery box, then cram the rigid foam chunks on the bare side.

3) The battery cables are seriously uncooperative. It's like the contacts are set up exactly opposite of what would just pop right on the battery posts. I ended up swearing a little and then bending things around so they work. I had to flip the negative contact upside down. I'm sure there are better ways that someone who does stuff properly would do this. The included screws go into little rectangular threaded lock gadgets that annoying fall out of the post holder whenever you try to start the screws. I ended up swearing a little more.

There's a fair amount of space left in the battery compartment. I'm planning to set up a fuse block in there after I measure the space to be sure I can find something that will fit. I've had so many things attached to my battery posts that it looks like a cartoon squid. I'm looking forward to this battery lasting a long time!
    lugnut and immgunn like this.
    '03 TW200 - QuasiMoto, the king of wheeee!

I've used a WPS lithium battery in a scooter. It worked great until I killed it over drawing it - entirely my fault and it was replaced under warranty. For fun I opened up the dead one, mostly empty space in the box in the one I had - the lithium cells are very small. It had an internal cell balancer and I think WPS states that a dedicated lithium battery charger wasn't necessary but that info comes with the battery so don't take my word for it. How would a regular charger be worse than charging off of stator anyway? I never understood that. I use a battery tender to top it off once in a while but they hold charge for a long time and the WPS has a charge indicator so you can check easily.
    Last edited by like2wlz; 07-28-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos and initial impressions.

If I did this mod, I'd try finding a hard shell case that could act as a spacer and hold a few spare parts and extra tools. It would justify doing one of the the quick-release seat mods, too.
    Ken likes this.
    ---
    Never too old to learn/ride/operate something new.

Fun fleet:
    2017 TW200
    1977 RD400
    1988 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (R22E)
    1970 American Aviation AA1

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The WPS info says you can use any charger as long as has an auto-shut off and no desulfization (or at least can be turned off). I looked online at about 2000 (slight exaggeration maybe) chargers. It was hard to find anything affordable that met those rules. The SP6 specifically states it can be used on LiFePO4 batteries so I was really happy to find it.

I like that box idea! That's great! Every time I take off my seat, I think the quick-release mod is the next one. So far, I haven't gotten past thinking about it
    Last edited by skase98; 07-28-2017 at 01:49 PM.

after taking the seat off a couple times I just stopped using the cap screws. My coleman atv seat cover does strap over the seat so it is secured some.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skase98 View Post
    The WPS info says you can use any charger as long as has an auto-shut off and no desulfization (or at least can be turned off). I looked online at about 2000 (slight exaggeration maybe) chargers. It was hard to find anything affordable that met those rules. The SP6 specifically states it can be used on LiFePO4 batteries so I was really happy to find it.

I like that box idea! That's great! Every time I take off my seat, I think the quick-release mod is the next one. So far, I haven't gotten past thinking about it
    My old wps battery was a lithium polymer if I remember correctly, not a lifepo4. Does the sp6 do both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ken likes this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Here's a link to the details on the charger:

SP6 - Schumacher Electric

I honestly do not know enough about the variations in how the lithium batteries have been configured. Since Shorai popped up, I've always just seen lithium iron listed for motorcycle batteries. Until I was ready to get one, I didn't pay attention.

Edited: So then I read this because I felt battery stupid. Polymer refers to the battery construction, not the materials (more or less) and further down, the comments folks had the answer... which is yes. It can.
    Last edited by skase98; 08-03-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: learned something new
    Ken likes this.

I remember the first one I got. I about threw it through the ceiling when I pulled it out of the box. It was so light.

i used to buy a battery or two every year. The last one I got was two years ago. I have only replaced one of the lithium now in 5 years. It is well worth the extra money.

Extra packing is a must on all sides.

For a charger, it has been my battery tender.
    Ken and skase98 like this.

I got the Battery Tender lithium battery about 7 months ago - it's been great! The battery came with enough rubber spacers to fill the compartment - so much lighter and smaller. Good technology!
    Barely touch the starter and the engine is running - very good cranking power.
    littletommy and skase98 like this.

Sponosred Links