Close

Thread: New Member

Hello,

I sold my 94 XR650L that I mainly used for riding to work now that I'm retired and bought a TW200. I felt that I got a very good deal - a 2006 with only 85 miles at 1/2 of new price. The XR650L is heavy for 2-up riding and very tall. My wife did not like to ride on it. She has been on a couple of rides on the TW and likes it much better. It is also much safer being able to put your feet flat footed on the ground. I'm normally a "Honda Man" when it comes to bikes and still have a TL200 Reflex (street legal old style trials bike) which I would not part with. What caught my interest in addition to the low seat height and much lighter weight than the XR650L and the fact that the bike has been made since 87 and owners have great reliability reports. It is also very simple and straight forward - should be easy to maintain myself.

After reading this forum I bought and installed a front and rear cyclerack and one of those tractor canisters. I plan to carry an air pump and air gauge in the canister. I also swapped out the sprocket for a [s]50T[/s] (correction - swapped the 50 for a 55T). I think it is now ready for lots of fun. My wife got on and feels that the rack will not bother her so that is good but the verdict on that is still out.

Yesterday I took it for a solo ride on some motorcycle only trails that the 650 would have been a handful on. It did well. However I did have one mishap that has not happened to me in a very long time. When the trail transitioned from ATV to bike there were rocks blocking the trail and a spot only about 1 foot wide for the bike to go around with some bushes to the right of the rock. Well, the kickstand slightly hit the rock and tilted me a little so I put my right foot down and much to my surprise, no ground, just air and the bike and I tumbled off of the side. Luckily it was very soft. The bike was on its side facing downhill and dripping gas. Well, I moved some sticks etc out of the way all the while thinking that I had already damaged the "new" bike and feeling blue. I tested the weight and was able to get it upright on the steep hill and lean it against a tree - in gear so it would not slip downhill. There was no way I could climb the steep almost vertical bank without a run and it was also wet and slippery. So, I looked around and found a way out the bottom.

The problem was after being almost upside down the bike would not start and I was getting a bit worried since a long walk out. I thought it was flooded and opened the throttle wide and it still would not start. I checked and the plug had spark but I changed it anyway and it still would not start. I pulled the overflow hose off and primed it and it would not start. I drained the gas out of the float bowl and it would not start. Finally, I pushed it up a hill, put it in 3rd gear, coasted down, let the clutch out and it started - whew as I was getting worried. All is well now and luckily the bike did not have a scratch from the incident. It was a good reminder of what can happen and to make sure my wife gets off when I have to go around tricky obstacles. Thankfully I was not on the 650 as I would have never got it back upright or at least it seemed so at the time. The little 200 pound reflex would have been easy and it is my solo ride normally but the TW's main purpose is 2-up scenic riding for my wife and I and mostly on jeep roads and trails.

Here are some pictures on the bike. I really like it. I washed the mud off before the pictures as on the way back I crossed a mud hole and thought I would be stuck but the big tires pulled through - barely - fun stuff. This looks to be a great forum - lots of information and dedicated TW riders.

Thanks to Revolverman for help on posting pictures.

Dan

Dan, a warm welcome to you ! Great to have you. Don't you worry about a small turn over, as long as your ok. I had a small boo boo yesterday almost exactly like you did........I did not hurt mine either but it hurt my pride.

These guys and gals on here are great, you will enjoy it here. They are always helpful and love pics and videos.

That is another thing you can do if you want, you can take a video of your bike running.....a walk around type thing and put it on you tube, click private, can see only if you share the link and we will be able to see your bike and hear you talk about it.

You can also join photo bucket and then upload your pics on there and then "click" the last link out of 4 on your pics (IMG code), this will copy it and then paste them here and it will show your pic.

Revolverman.
    The older I get, the more I realize it's easier to be kind in most situations.

Hi Revolverman,

I appreciate the tip on posting pictures. When I was trying to get the bike started I was getting a bit worried about the battery life. Will the TW start with a dead battery with the pushing downhill method?

Thanks,

Dan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Dan, you are welcome.

That bike is beautiful ! I am new to this model bike too but have had a Yamaha dirt bike for a while now including back in the 70s.

Your bike should start even with a dead battery, but might affect running lights if it stays dead. If you flood it again, instead of cranking a lot. Quickly remove spark plug and dry it off and put it back in and it should start right up.

I am having a little trouble getting used to the very touchy throttle/gear ratio on mine compared to my 75 model 250 enduro. This tw200 is extremely jerky to me in first gear I think because of the ratio and then that grippy rear tire.

Did you gear down on yours ? Mine is still stock whatever that is.

Enjoy your bike. I wish my wife could ride mine with me but she can't because she is recovering from a tumor in her pelvic bone that needs to improve. We can't take any chances on a fracture and since I am still green when it comes to this bike it is not worth the risk so I am on my own with this one.

She did however ride the 250 with me 37 years ago when we were just kids.......

Revolverman.
    The older I get, the more I realize it's easier to be kind in most situations.

Its hard to predict what might have been your no start problem, but. . . I'll give you one possibility that as a noobie, you might have overlooked in the moment of crisis. The TW can start with no battery (if you turn if over fast enough). However the darned thing won't start even with a battery if the starter is using the battery and not turning over fast enough to generate the spark. My bike almost never will start if the bike is in gear with the clutch lever squeezed. Apparently there is just enough extra friction of clutch plates to slow down the starter and starve the spark. Put the bike in neutral and all is well. I have a small gelcell battery that might be slightly underpowered for the bike, but I do know others have a similar experience. Try the two scenarios on your bike - but certainly go for neutral anytime you think you have a potential no start situation. Just a though and welcome. I just returned from Colorado (through Salida and the San Luis Valley and was wishing for the TW as I passed oh so many FS roads. I've got a friend building a house SW of Durango and will be back up that way later this summer. Ride carefully and leave those rocks in place. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Hi Peruano and Revolverman,

That is a good thought on being ineutralal. It is possible that I was using the clutch but can't really recall. I did put in a brand new dry plug and it would not start with that. Thanks for the information. There are some great riding areas on the San Juan NF - especially to the west.

I geared it down to [s]50T[/s] (oops - geared down with a 55T). With my wife I have to go very slow and ride with caution because if she drops I'm certain she will not want to ride again. With the [s]50T[/s] (correction - 55T) it did stall once on a hill with her going very slow as you lose considerable power at 10,000 feet. However, I like the way it is geared now still being able to cruise smoothly on a dirt road. But, I do have a 13T front just in case which may be compatible with the 55T (I don't know why they did not split that cover). So far I have not ridden it over 30 as breaking it in and varying speeds. I not so interesting on riding on the highway but one of the advantages of the TW is being able to ride the short sections of road between the trails.

I used to ride Trials when I was younger but have not had much time to ride for a long time until now. I had owned a TL 125 and an TL 250 in the past (should have kept the 250 as a great bike) and now still have a Reflex. The Reflex unlike the TW was only made for 2 years - 86 and 87. When Honda jumped out of the low cost trials bike business they put their twin shock trials bikes on the marked as street legal dual purpose bikes with battery, turn signals but not electric start and it only weighed 202 pounds. I took the battery and turn signals off of mine but it is still street legal. In my mind there was only one thing keeping the TL200 Reflex not having the long time legacy of the TW -- the seat. It has the pegs back like a trials bike (good as the TW has trouble getting the front wheel up for logs), has a 6 speed (good since can have a lower and taller gear than the TW), but they stuck with the little trials seat which is incredibly uncomfortable (big mistake for a street legal bike). I had mine padded as best as possible but still does not allow sitting too long. I also put as big of tires on it as would fit but of course not as large as the TW tires.

As I get older it is great to ride a comfortable bike like the TW on the trails as being able to sit down, be comfortable, and rest now and then is a great plus. Having the pegs to carry my wife on the back is also a good deal and was a must for the purpose of getting this bike. I look at the TW as in between the old style trials bike and an enduro - has great traction, has a low seat height, can get around obstacles at a slow and controlled pace, and has a low 1st gear.

Have fun riding your TWs! I can hardly wait to ride Imogene, Black Bear and all of the other historic jeep trails in the area on the TW and of course a camping trip to ride Pearl Pass, Schofield Pass, and Taylor Pass.

Dan

You think Don will ever make a front rack that is ABOVE the headlight....below the headlight doesn't seem one could put much on the rack?.Hmmm,maybe I'll contact Don?.

I have talked to don and he said he will think about it. His main reason for having it below the light is for safety. But I figure if your flipping over the handlebars youve got bigger problems then a rack to the face. It cant hurt to let him know there is more of a demand then just me.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Hi,

On the last ride - off the road, I put my pack on the front rack with our drinks and coats. I figured if we ran into a long highway section my wife would have to carry it on her back for awhile. Off the road during the day I don't see a problem with the headlight being obstructed and being below the headlight lowers the center of gravity a little.

My wife has had a knee replacement so thus far we are not putting anything real high on the back rack for her to have to swing her leg over. On the last ride which she really enjoyed I would hold the handlebars while off of the bike and she got on side saddle and then swung her leg over the tank. She then grabs the very sturdy rack and pulls herself back. That method seemed to work well so we may be able to load up the rack - one step at a time. When riding the rack does not bother her at all but she is only 5 foot 1. I read where the rack bothered a taller and bigger rider somewhat.

Anyway - I was worried about the front rack being below the headlight at first but not anymore - works great for off road rides during the daylight and is also useful to pull the front of the bike over obstacles. My wife does not like to ride on the highway. On our last ride we did not see anyone, not even an ATV - was great.

Of course if I ever dump my wife that will be our last ride and that is one of the reasons for the selection of the TDub - low seat height, low 1st gear, and somewhat light weight (at least a lot lighter than an XR650L). Even though the 650 was a wonderful bike with endless power and torque, riding double when you can only touch your tip toes does not instill a lot of confidence although that suspension would just get you there but was way to scary for my wife on the back and really hard for her to get on. I rode trials at one point in my life (in the 70s) so hopefully I can keep this bike upright in the tough spots and am smart enough to have her walk in the tougher spots. When she is with me our rides are more for sight seeing and we just plonk along. She does like this bike and is having fun riding with me so that is a good start.

Dan

FWIW, Don has told me in the past that his front rack wasn't really intended to carry a load full time. He intended it to be used with "field expedient ballast" (boulders, heavy stuff) temporarily to keep the front end down when hauling game, dragging logs or doing other heavy work with the bike.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links