Dont' baby your TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For the first 2,200 miles on my TW, I kind of rode it easy. Not really baby it, but I didn't pound on it either. I didn't really rev it up too high and took my time getting up to speed on it. Again, not slowly, but I didn't pound on it.

This Winter I purchased my 1,100cc cruiser, and since owning and riding that, I've been kind of riding the TW the same way... you know, expecting it to get up to speed just as fast, and shifting at around the same point I would shift the cruiser. I have found the TW to run so much better this season after the first couple hundred miles of me pounding on it and expecting more power from it. I think the bike even runs smoother. She also seems to want even more than I'm already dragging out of her. She even seems to maintain higher speeds more easily. I used to think that 45mph was about as fast as the TW wanted to go comfortably, but now I can maintain 55, and have to watch that she doesn't go into 60-65mph. The vibration doesn't seem to be as evident at this point either. The difference is evident to me, and it, once again, makes me appreciate the TW more and more every time I ride it.

So, don't baby your TW. Beat on her all you want, and she'll come back asking for more.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Good Morning,

That makes sense - break it in well by not over-reving and varying the speed and after that you can run her up to the red-line on the speedo. I have a 55T rear sprocket on mine so my red-line should be around 50mph once broken in. I have about 130 miles now on the 06 so I have not exceeded 35mph but I also have not been on the highway yet. Once broken in there should be a power gain. My other 200cc, (the Reflex) certainly runs well at 3700 trail miles.

T-Dan

My 2011 TW200 ran better after 4,500 miles than it did new.
    Ride Along With Me On YouTube: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep, mine too. And shifting is a lot smoother!

Quote Originally Posted by TundraManDan View Post
    Good Morning,

That makes sense - break it in well by not over-reving and varying the speed and after that you can run her up to the red-line on the speedo. I have a 55T rear sprocket on mine so my red-line should be around 50mph once broken in. I have about 130 miles now on the 06 so I have not exceeded 35mph but I also have not been on the highway yet. Once broken in there should be a power gain. My other 200cc, (the Reflex) certainly runs well at 3700 trail miles.

T-Dan

The red line on the North American TW speedometer is a throwback to the national 55mph speed limit. It has no relevance today. Engine redline in 5th with a 14/55 sprocket set is a tad over 67mph.

Best way to break in any engine built with the TW's level of technology is clean dino oil formulated specifically for motorcycles with combined sumps (change at 25, 100, 500, 1000, and 2000 miles), correct or very slightly rich carb tune (lower combustion chamber temperature), moderate engine rpm under open throttle gradually increasing from 50% of redline to redline through the first 1000 miles (prevents establishment of a ring sharp groove), and constantly varying load and ground speed (to prevent localized heat soak in the combustion chamber).

Notice I wrote next to nothing about throttle position. After the first 25 miles or so, momentary full throttle operation will do no harm as long rpm is limited. Neither will hign rpm harm the engine, as long as the throttle position is moderate. Imagine riding into and out of a steep-sided wash. Low gear, lots of rpm, closed throttle for engine braking going in, near or wide open throttle, moderate rpm going up. It would not be good to run significantly open throttle at moderate rpm for long periods, such as a 12% grade several miles long at or near WFO in the mountains.

Be careful not to lug the engine. Many people try to break in a bike and never turn over 3000-4000rpm. The high throttle positions necessary to make adequate power to not be a traffic hazard at and just above idle speed results in excessive combustion chamber temps, especially with the North American EPA-mandated lean OEM jetting.

If you baby your TW for the first few hundred miles or more, you will establish a sharp ring groove. Suddenly switching to a significantly more agressive riding style (as the factory break-in procedure suggests) will cause the rings to chip along the sealing edges. If you want to ride your babied TW more aggressively, begin at 30mph in 5th, gradually speed up about 16mph, slow down about 15mph, repeat 30-40 times. This procedure will gradually knock the edge off the ring groove while minimizing the potential for chipping the rings.

I didn't baby ours at all. I figured if I was going to have a problem with the new one, I wanted the problem while it was still under warranty. I did the accelerated oil change schedule and stayed on top of my stock chain, but I drove the heck out of the 2010. Since tackling the carb mods and tuning on both, I've basically not been worrying about them at almost any speed. I was in traffic the other day and look down and saw I was doing almost 50 - in 4th! Guess I'm used to the high RPM's... the bike sure is. (edit: just over 3000 mi on thw 2010, just over 2000 on the 05)
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
    I didn't baby ours at all. I figured if I was going to have a problem with the new one, I wanted the problem while it was still under warranty. I did the accelerated oil change schedule and stayed on top of my stock chain, but I drove the heck out of the 2010. Since tackling the carb mods and tuning on both, I've basically not been worrying about them at almost any speed. I was in traffic the other day and look down and saw I was doing almost 50 - in 4th! Guess I'm used to the high RPM's... the bike sure is. (edit: just over 3000 mi on thw 2010, just over 2000 on the 05)
    With 14/50 sprockets, engine redline in 4th gear is a fraction over 58mph, probably an indicated 63mph considering the optimistic nature of Japanese motorcycle speedometers. Not as used to high rpm as you thought, eh?

I think I experienced the same thing. When I first got mine I really didnt go over 55 or 60 and now I run it almost wide open and she dont seem to mind. Thats what I say, give her hell. Such a great bike.
    I got granny gear haha...

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    With 14/50 sprockets, engine redline in 4th gear is a fraction over 58mph, probably an indicated 63mph considering the optimistic nature of Japanese motorcycle speedometers. Not as used to high rpm as you thought, eh?

Apparently, not. But thank you for giving me a new target and making me feel less crazy. I've got 10 more MPH to play with in 4th?

CORRECTION - I went out after work today and brought the 2010 to 47/48 mph (Indicated) in 3RD, NOT 4th! I thought I knew what vibration felt like.

I think it's like qwerty says, just go till it stops pulling... and that's all I got to say about that.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Hi Qwerty,

I agree that bursts of high RPM are fine as long as short and the motor does not overheat when breaking in. So, if redline speed is 67 then the speed calculator indicates that redline is 8600 rpm. Does that sound correct? Then with my 55T rear sprocket the speed at redline should be 61. Once broken in with non-synthetic cycle oil and the rings are properly seated I'll change to synthetic for motorcycles - probably Mobil 1 - 4T.

Apparently the TW is tough enough to cruise all day at redline unlike many motors. It sounds like with my gear ratio that 55 will be a nice cruise speed once broken in with a little reserve - not much traffic around here. I was using the nice link on the forum to the speed calculator with the presets for gear ratios which agree with manual. However, guess redline is not a preset so that confused me yesterday as to max speed at redline.

http://www.it-ideas.net/bike/calc.htm

T-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links