• 4 Post By Maxpower
  • 5 Post By canyncarvr
  • 3 Post By Maxpower
  • 4 Post By PlacerLode
  • 2 Post By TopPredator
  • 1 Post By Badgerflorida

Thread: Losing a key

Losing a key

I'm regurgitating information I learned here. This worked for me and I hope to help someone else

I brought my TW camping. Having a motor home bike was the main reason I originally bought it. (Actually it was a reason I justified my purchase with,I really always wanted a TW)
    So I unload my bike and I realized I left the keys at home.
    I panic and quickly ruined the switch with a flat blade screwdriver. I figure a fix but my ignition is trashed.
    Get home and go to ebay and find the cheap 30.00 ignitions are for the newer TWs. I have an 87
    I found a simple solution on this forum is to get the new cheaper ignition anyway but you can use just the top housing. Boom,done. Works perfect. The extra key is hung in the RV now and I'm ready to go
    Thanks to this forum

Spare key

I keep a spare key ON the TW. Having a spare OFF the TW isn't going to help you way too often.

I keep a spare for my streetbike on the bike, a spare for my Banshee on the quad, and a spare for my dirtbike nowhere...'cuz it doesn't need a key.

Oh...and a spare key for my toy-hauler...where? On the rig.

I would encourage you to keep your spare someplace where it will be most useful; on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by canyncarvr View Post
    I keep a spare key ON the TW. Having a spare OFF the TW isn't going to help you way too often.

I keep a spare for my streetbike on the bike, a spare for my Banshee on the quad, and a spare for my dirtbike nowhere...'cuz it doesn't need a key.

Oh...and a spare key for my toy-hauler...where? On the rig.

I would encourage you to keep your spare someplace where it will be most useful; on the machine.
    I agree with you. Up until the day before my keys never left the ignition. I just took them out when I loaded it on the bumper rack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you ever lose a key you don't have to destroy the ignition lock

it is very easy to disassemble the OEM ignition switch with common hand tools and you can remove the tumblers and springs (saving them in a plastic baggy - number their order if you plan to use the original key in the future) then any key or any tool will operate the ignition causing no damage and the tumblers can be installed when you have a key - the ignition looks original so nobody would know it will start w/o a key unless they try the ignition

Also a great idea to stash a flat spare key in the tool kit or taped in the side cover or cowl
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

All OEM keys have numbers matching your ignition, gas cap and helmet lock. I noted mine in my shop manual and in a Notes file on my iPhone. I also keep extra copies handy and I do like the idea of a spare key kept on the bike.
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I keep one in the toolkit. I also keep my registration and proof of insurance in a sealed bag behind that plastic side cover. Thankfully, I haven't had to use any of them yet.
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Sponosred Links