TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Sprocket cover

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  GaryL 
#1 ·
Since it's not possible to change the counter shaft sprocket without removing the left side case, has anyone or is it possible to modify the cover to gain access?
I know a good amount will have to be cut off. I'm not concerned as I would never be riding without boots . Mud would have a way out too.

#4 ·
Thanks for posting that.It made it clear.
I understand now. I'm guessing it's there to support the extra long counter shaft.
I guess I'll be doing gearing changes like everyone else at the rear wheel

And what site are you using to host photos to link?
I'm stuck since photo bucket had a change of heart

#5 ·
And what site are you using to host photos to link?
I'm stuck since photo bucket had a change of heart
I am just downloading them from my computer now. That way they should be permanently attached to this forum, thus avoiding a future Photobucket-type fiasco. Only downside is that I am only able to post 5 photos per post.

I have started reloading some of my pics that were lost by Photobucket, but with over 4,000 posts, that is a huge task especially since most of my pics are embedded in other members posts like this one.

#7 ·
TW-Brian - are the screws that require an impact driver shown in your picture? I'm getting ready to change to 15 and I'm trying to have all my ducks in a row before attempting. I wouldn't even attempt this if not for all the advice and pictures. Also, does anyone know how many links I need for 15/45 X-Ring chain? Thanks and cheers.

#9 ·
Badger I would always break those screws loose with a hand impact driver, if you don't have one, Harbor freight has a great one for about $7.99.
Then its a great idea to put anti seize on all screws before installation. It really is easy, but you got make sure you don't pinch any wires when you put the cover back on.
I have opened both mine up several times in the last 29 Years and steal have not had to replace the gasket.

Im sure Yamaha knows they made them gaskets to good now. :eek:ccasion14:

#10 ·
Thanks cowboyjeff. I have my grandfather's impact driver but none of the 5/16ths bits. I have an adapter to go down to the 1/4 hex and have plenty of good bits in that size. Anyone think that's a bad idea? I have a new gasket - but maybe I can reuse the one that's currently on it. Also good idea on the anti seize. Thanks again and cheers.

#12 ·
Yup. That outer side cover bearing is both a support for the extended shaft and there is a seal that keeps the oil flowing in the right direction shown by TW Brian's red wire. Bad seal equals a drip and bad bearing equals what could become a serious issue. I do wish Yamaha had split the side cover and fastened the sprocket cover some other way but it is what it is. Anyone who has ridden a TW is well aware of the massive torque produced by these 12 horse power engines, Ha Ha, but that outer carrier bearing is needed just because the shaft is that much longer so our chains clear the fat tire.

Unlike some others here I have never been fortunate enough to replace a front sprocket without needing to replace the side cover gasket. I know it can and has been done by some but I just don't have that luck which is why I say the front sprocket change is a royal PITA. I have lost count of how many TW s I have bought and sold, 7 or 8 so far and every one needed sprockets and chains before I resold them. It has become a rather standard order for me when I buy a TW to resell. I get a gasket, both sprockets, all 4 seals and I would never put a cheap non O or X ring chain on it. Once I do that job I know I am good for at least another 10,000 miles or a lot more. Do it right the first time or you get to do it twice and it ends up costing more.

GaryL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.