Sprocket cover
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sprocket cover

Sprocket cover

Since it's not possible to change the counter shaft sprocket without removing the left side case, has anyone or is it possible to modify the cover to gain access?
    I know a good amount will have to be cut off. I'm not concerned as I would never be riding without boots . Mud would have a way out too.
    littletommy and cowboyjeff like this.

I believe there is a bearing in the cover that helps support the shaft. You would be cutting that out. Not 100% sure, lets see what everyone else says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    littletommy and cowboyjeff like this.

This has been proposed before but, unfortunately, there is an oil line that runs through the output shaft and feeds the outboard bearing that is mounted in the left side cover. This oil then returns to the crankcase through a galley in the side cover as indicated below by the red wire.

100_4766.JPG

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting that.It made it clear.
    I understand now. I'm guessing it's there to support the extra long counter shaft.
    I guess I'll be doing gearing changes like everyone else at the rear wheel

And what site are you using to host photos to link?
    I'm stuck since photo bucket had a change of heart
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    I am just downloading them from my computer now. That way they should be permanently attached to this forum, thus avoiding a future Photobucket-type fiasco. Only downside is that I am only able to post 5 photos per post.

I have started reloading some of my pics that were lost by Photobucket, but with over 4,000 posts, that is a huge task especially since most of my pics are embedded in other members posts like this one.

Front sprockets are much cheaper than rear sprockets and it isn't that bad at all taking the cover off. If the gasket doesn't stick too badly or get ruined, you can yank the cover off, replace the sprocket and reassemble in 30 minutes or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Thanks for posting that.It made it clear.
    I understand now. I'm guessing it's there to support the extra long counter shaft.
    I guess I'll be doing gearing changes like everyone else at the rear wheel

cowboyjeff likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

TW-Brian - are the screws that require an impact driver shown in your picture? I'm getting ready to change to 15 and I'm trying to have all my ducks in a row before attempting. I wouldn't even attempt this if not for all the advice and pictures. Also, does anyone know how many links I need for 15/45 X-Ring chain? Thanks and cheers.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    TW-Brian - are the screws that require an impact driver shown in your picture? I'm getting ready to change to 15 and I'm trying to have all my ducks in a row before attempting. I wouldn't even attempt this if not for all the advice and pictures. Also, does anyone know how many links I need for 15/45 X-Ring chain? Thanks and cheers.
    Yes, they are the two cross-headed screws securing the silver plate on the left side of the picture where the red wire goes in. And yes, they can be a bear to get out.

Badger I would always break those screws loose with a hand impact driver, if you don't have one, Harbor freight has a great one for about $7.99.
    Then its a great idea to put anti seize on all screws before installation. It really is easy, but you got make sure you don't pinch any wires when you put the cover back on.
    I have opened both mine up several times in the last 29 Years and steal have not had to replace the gasket.

Im sure Yamaha knows they made them gaskets to good now.
    littletommy likes this.

Thanks cowboyjeff. I have my grandfather's impact driver but none of the 5/16ths bits. I have an adapter to go down to the 1/4 hex and have plenty of good bits in that size. Anyone think that's a bad idea? I have a new gasket - but maybe I can reuse the one that's currently on it. Also good idea on the anti seize. Thanks again and cheers.
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links